The end of an Era: CZ 83 - Discontinued

Discussion in 'Modern Handguns' started by Predecessor, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

The venerable CZ 83 has been officially discontinued by CZ-USA for 2013. I hate to see such a good pistol go down :x

If you are not familiar with this all steel pistol, here's the abridged skinny:

In 1982, the Czechs were "encouraged" by the USSR during the Cold War to change their military sidearm cartridge to match the 9x18 Makarov. The Czech's have a penchant for making the best firearms in the Eastern Bloc imo and they seemed to feel the same way so while they agreed to use the 9x18 ammunition, they decided to make their own sidearm for the platform. Hence, the VZ-82 was born. Augustin Necas and Stanislav Strizek are credited with the design. In a sense, it's an improved Walther PP that is built like a tank. Compared to the Makarov, it is fit better, balanced better, and more ergonomic. It sports ambi Mag releases and has a far better capacity for a compact military sidearm (12 round) vs. the standard (8 round) mag of the Mak. Like other CZ designs, the ambi-frame mounted safety allows for cocked and locked carry in addition to the option of carrying in DA mode. The DA trigger pull is smooth and the SA pull is quite nice as well. The pistol was successfully chambered for commercial rounds a year later as well for both the .32 ACP and .380 ACP cartridges and those models were subsequently given the VZ-83 model number.

CZ began importing commercial 83's in 1992. These earlier imports sported a rounded trigger guard. Here's a couple of pictures of one of mine...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Earlier 83's were brought in by various importers before CZ-USA was formed and began it's own importation. I'm not sure when the NIB imports from CZ-USA began production with the current squared trigger guard. If you know please, post! What I do know is that the 83 in all of it's current variations have recently been discontinued from the CZ-USA importation line. :shock: Sales have always been steady for the pistol, so my assumption is that production is being stopped to make room for more profitable models since demand has been higher than supply for CZ pistols for almost a year now.

It's too bad, because the CZ 83 is one of my favorite handguns. I shoot it more accurately at speed than most pistols because of the balance, low bore axis of the fixed barrel, and faster manageability of the .380 ACP round.

If you've been thinking about adding a NIB model to your collection, now is the time before they are gone. There are 4 variations still available: Blued in. 32 ACP; And Blued, Matte Black, and Satin Nickel models in .380 ACP

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Trying to offer as many as I can at Compact Firearms

Anyone else enjoy owning one of these beauties?

2. Series80

Series80 New Member

Ive got an old 82 9 x 18 , very fun pistol to shoot! Im sure it will make a comeback like the 82's have! Good thing I bought spare parts for the 82!

3. HKmanlp1

HKmanlp1 New Member

How much is a good price for one of these in good shape. And do you know off any differences in quality between the newer models or the older ones. Is $400 to much for a new CZ83 in .380?

4. N.M.Edmands

N.M.Edmands New Member

5. N.M.Edmands

N.M.Edmands New Member

Wanted to add that most places around here are selling these for more than the MSRP !! :eek:

6. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

There are still plenty of milsurp CZ 82's and 83's out there to play with. Typically found in the $250 to $350 price range. Because the guns are designed and built well, these imports are fine choices for shooters, truck guns and smith projects. These older imports typically have lighter and smoother DA pulls than the brand new pistols from CZ-USA. But the finish is usually rough with rusting of various degrees, scratched grip panels, and ugly import stamp marks. My early import pictured above is definitely the exception and not the rule. From a collector standpoint, I like to have one that is representative of the cold war era and a modern CZ import to dress up and keep shiny. The milsurp guns are great to have around for parts and pleasure as well!

As for the $400 price range, I imagine this is why the pistol is being discontinued. The cost to build can be no less than a CZ 75 Compact - which sells for $500+ So to CZ, they make $100 more on their 75 lineup than they do on the 83 - an economic no brainer to continue manufacturing the pistols that bring in the higher sale. So I think $400 for an all steel pistol of this quality is quite the bargain ;)

7. Series80

Series80 New Member

I would recomend buying the cz 82 ,they can be had at around $299 , i just pumped 300 rounds through mine this weekend , my gun was baked with carbon ,my hands were gray and it didnt matter it kept firing ! great gun , the 9x18 cartige is cheaper than the .380 and you can buy in bulk!

8. HKmanlp1

HKmanlp1 New Member

Well I've been kickin it around in my head and I am going to get a new CZ83. Why the Hell not!

9. jhb

jhb Member

Being a big cz fan this is bad news. Been wanting one of these for awhile, but I keep running into other got to have pistols and it keeps getting put off. Gonna have to make a decision pretty soon before stock runs out.