New Caracal C slide malfunction ...grr!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tdocz, Apr 7, 2012.

1. tdocz

tdocz New Member

Okay, so have this new Caracal C and I have shot about 300 rnds through it prior to today. No problems, accurate and well handling. So I took the pistol with me for an IDPA intro/action range certification class this morning. The Caracalla operated commendably for nearly the entire class, shot about 220 rounds. Then, during a practice drill, something strange occurred during the 9th round fired from a full magazine. I feel a blast of residue from the shot on my face, fortunately I was wearing eye protection, and the slide locks open. Firearm is now not operational. The slide will not close and slide release appears to be stuck against the frame so thait won't drop to release the slide. It must be bent because it now looks too short to reach the notch to the right of the Caracal emblem on the fram where it normally resides. Any idea what the H3ll happened? I can't get the pistol disassembled to look at the slide release and don't want to make things worse. I'll forward pics ASAP, but I have to reduce their size. Is this a known failure of this pistol?

2. tdocz

tdocz New Member

I forgot to mention that I finished the drill and the course using my Glock 17. I don't even like this pistol. I just brought it along ias a back up, in case something uh happened uh to my primary weapon... I'm really glad I did!

3. Riogrande481

Riogrande481 New Member

Kinda looks like an ammo problem and not a gun problem to me. Either a round with too much powder or a case failure. I have had this happen to a pistol before... serves as a good reminder to ALWAYS wear eye protection!

Was your ammo factory, reloaded or hand loaded?

4. ddleatherworks

ddleatherworks New Member

The spring showing on top of the release in the first pic is where its supposed to be. But I'm not sure whats got you jammed up. It don't look like the slide is all the way back. Could be something in the trigger connector area causing the problem.

5. okie67

okie67 Member

That doesnt look good cant really tell much from the pics.I would as well bet its an ammo related issue,something is for sure messed up.Let us know what ya find.

6. Riogrande481

Riogrande481 New Member

Let's look at the potential ammo problem.

Did the gun eject a shell casing, and if so did you see it/find it? Were there any pieces or particles from the casing that went flying?

Was there a hot blast sensation in the grip of the pistol when this happened?

7. tdocz

tdocz New Member

I used reloaded ammo, with Unique powder with 115grain Xtreme PHP bullet. Load was below Hornady max load for regular not +p loads, col was 1.090". Also I am certain it wasn't over charged, I have a powder police die on my Dillon press. Didn't feel powder blast on grip only my face but the powder blast did smell "burnt" not normal discharge smell. Didn't find case but the gentleman standing to my right did not get a face full of shrapnel. Case could have given out but why is slide jammed?

8. tdocz

tdocz New Member

Problem solved. I went ahead and dissembled the pistol. Turns out the slide release lever slipped off its hinge. It is now properly attained and the pistol appears to be fully operational. Still doesn't solve the question of how or why it happened but I will monitoring it and the ammo it gets fed diligently. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

9. okie67

okie67 Member

Good to hear you found the problem,hopefully it dont happen again.

10. Firewire

Firewire New Member

Thanks for the update!

11. daghalodi

daghalodi New Member

Thanks for the update mate...glad to hear its operational again!

12. tdocz

tdocz New Member

Quick range report on my Caracal C. I put 150 rounds through it today with zero problems. It is officially back to working order. My only problem is that the frame pin in hand grip kept working it'd way out. I may not have punched it in far enough when I reassembled the pistol. When I got home I punched it in a bit further. Hopefully that will fix the problem. Otherwise I will attempt to locate a new pin. Cheers!