New Caracal C QS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EvilNuff, Jul 5, 2012.

1. EvilNuff

EvilNuff New Member

Just picked it up today, haven't had the opportunity to test it out yet. Here are my initial observations:

Feels good in the hands, much better than my glock 19, but not as good as my m&p 9. I have smaller hands so I prefer my gun to be pretty narrow where the web of my hand grips it. The front and back are pretty grippy but the sides have almost no texture. Anyone who likes a lot of texture is going to want to stipple this or get some talon grips or the like. I would, however, like the trigger guard to have a larger indentation for my strong hand's second finger. As high as I can grip it (and its pretty high) I could go a little higher if there were some more room there.

The trigger is great! My m&p has an apex dcaek kit and a ram and it is significantly smoother than my glock 19 trigger. However, the glock 19 has a *much* better reset than the m&p even with the apex ram. I think the caracal's trigger is as smooth as the modified m&p but with a reset just as good as the glocks.

The QS sights are really pretty darn neat, very quick to acquire the sight picture.

The recoil spring is capped by plastic, I do wish those were metal as I suspect that could be a possible failure point (but really that's nitpicking at this point).

I am really excited to shoot it this weekend!

2. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you drive it around a bit!

3. okie67

okie67 Member

Congrats on a fine pistol!

4. EvilNuff

EvilNuff New Member

Took time between work and a date tonight to put 200 rounds downrange with the Caracal. Here is my summary: I like it...a lot.

I have been carrying my glock 19 purely from a size perspective as opposed to my m&p 9FS, and I definitely like the caracal more than the glock. I am still a little waffling between the m&p and the caracal as to which I prefer but the size of the Caracal C I definitely like. The gun feels good in the hand, not a lot of texture I am sure some will dislike that, but I was fine with it while sweating in 100o temperatures.

I only fired at 3 and 7 yards. I am a little more accurate with the m&p than the g19 and I was able to group my shots just as well with the C as with g19. The sights are very quick to acquire so if I want to take a quick shot the C is definitely faster than either of my other striker 9s. To be perfectly honest I am just not an accurate enough shot to notice any loss in accuracy from the QS sights when I take my time with a shot so I cannot comment there.

I really liked the Caracal but I do have a couple complaints. The guiderod is plastic, the ends of the guiderod are plastic, I hate it. I am paranoid that it will break. It also fits in without any real effort as compared to the glock or m&p both of which I have to compress to put in place. I have no actual negative side effects from it but it just looks and feels cheap. I cannot imagine that I won't replace the stock guiderod at some point. Galloway precision already lists a stainless steel replacement for $40. I would gladly have upped the cost of the gun by that to have that a stock part.

It was 100o here in Texas today and I ran through 200 rounds somewhat quickly the gun got hot. Not a big deal but where I noticed it was with the metal takedown levers. My support hand thumb naturally rested on one and it got pretty warm. Also the takedown lever spring is really strong, it is kind of hard to pull them and field strip. I am sure this will soften with age and yes this is a pretty small nit pick. :)

The way the magazines achieve the ambidextrous release is through a small tab of metal sticking up. I cannot imagine any possible way that these magazines will be durable throughout the course of training. I could be wrong but I am skeptical about their longevity.

All in all, the Caracal already beats my glock 19 for my preferences and frankly there's a real shot that this will pass my m&p on my "like" list. I am pondering getting an m&p 9c and I like the Caracal enough that I will probably hold off and get the Caracal subcompact if I like that as much as the C. Based on my still limited experience I would definitely recommend this gun.

5. jdeloach

jdeloach New Member

Great write-up Evil!
    The takedown levers will definitely soften up the more you use them.

6. mig1nc

mig1nc New Member

FYI the Walther P99 series and PPQ also use a plastic guide rod, as well as several other guns on the market.

There are advantages of the plastic guide rod, for example it has flex to it and it is lighter. Not to mention slightly cheaper to manufacture.

7. EvilNuff

EvilNuff New Member

That's good to know, thanks for the info. Hopefully my negative reaction to the guide rod is baseless.

8. ace

ace New Member

I don't know if this applies to you but, when I first got my F, I thought "Oh my god, I can't take it down!" but then I realized you don't have to pull the lever very far AT ALL.

I thought for some reason you have to pull it way out but you only need a bit of clearance and downward pull, a couple of mm, and it comes right apart.

9. EvilNuff

EvilNuff New Member

Good point, yes I had to figure that out myself as well. The take down lever only needs to move a very small amount to field strip the pistol.