Found a Caracal C today + range use!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sakundi, May 27, 2013.

1. sakundi

sakundi New Member

Hi guys,
    I went to a pawn shop near my place that usually has cheap ammo (steel cased) before heading out to an indoor range, and to my surprise found a Caracal C w/ Straight 8 sights...without hesitation paid $285 for it (box, 2 magazines, manual, etc included). I was too excited to clean/oil it, and shot about 150 rounds of Fiocchi (124 grain) and Federal (115 grain) without any problems. This was incredibly accurate at 8 and 10 yards, trigger pull and reset felt better than my Walther PPQ, and recoil/muzzle flip were not noticeable. I shot 1 magazine, and noticed I was shooting a bit high...I didn't want to waste precious ammo getting accustomed to the Straight 8 sights, so I took a sharpie and blacked out the rear dot which immediately improved my accuracy. I am almost as accurate w/ it as my CZ 75B which is the most accurate pistol I have ever shot.

I took it home to clean and oil it and found it stamped with Waffen Werks! So now my question to yall is, should I put a fiber optic front sight on it or would that diminish the value? Any drawbacks to my rear sight sharpie method? Also I don't think I want to send it in to Caracal USA b/c the serial # isn't in the affected range, and I don't want a new unmarked pistol...but a free magazine would be nice.

Anyway, I am very excited and satisfied with my purchase...can't wait for this ammo shortage to end! Recommendations on mods/upgrades etc would be much appreciated.

2. Auguste Capone

Auguste Capone New Member

Welcome to the forums!

Magazines are cheap right now. I wouldn't send it in for that. There are a number of threads regarding the recall(s) with different opinions. I personally wouldn't send it in, but that's a risk that I would be taking as well. Not sure about the FO sight, I'm not sure but I wouldn't think so.

3. sakundi

sakundi New Member

Great thanks. I went ahead and ordered the FO sight, and a Galloway stainless recoil spring (factory weight). I don't think I'm going to mess with the trigger kit. I found some magazines for ~$30 but will hold off if you guys know of any cheaper places.

I hope Caracal picks up some traction now that the recall is concluded. This and the PPQ are the only polymer pistols that I like...carrying a 1911 or CZ 75B isnt practical. Thanks!