Ammo selection?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snapcap, Jun 19, 2012.

1. snapcap

snapcap New Member

Is there any ammo out there that the caracal might have problems with? I have read that the federal 9mm value pack is a little weak; anyone experiencing problems with this?

2. ace

ace New Member

I hope that's not the case with the federal value pack, that's the most affordable option I have around here.
    (I don't consider TulAmmo an option.)

3. okie67

okie67 Member

My Caracals have ran fine with Federal but that Tulammo was crap,my M&P Vtac choked on that stuff.I would shoot Monarch or Blazer over Tulammo anyday!

4. Ponchomike

Ponchomike New Member

I have fed my F model just about everything. That includes Federal value pack, Remington UMC value pack, TulaAmmo, Winchester white box, and Monarch from Academy, both steel and brass. I have not had any problems with any of them. Majority of the 1200 rounds or so I've put through it were Federal bulk pack and TulaAmmo. It has also fed reliably Winchester PDX1 124+P, Corbon DPX, Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty, Remington Golden Sabers, and Federal Hydra Shok.

5. ace

ace New Member

I bought a box each of Federal 9mm LUGER 115gr FMJ RN (normal red box) and Winchester 9mm LUGER 115gr Target FMJ (usa white box) at my local Wal-Mart.

I will post back when after I shoot them with results.

6. Firewire

Firewire New Member

These are the only 2 I have used and both ran without incident.

7. jaybee

jaybee New Member

I'd love to hear forum members experiences with defensive ammo they have tried. I'm finding my C to be a reliable and accurate pistol with bulk ammo, I will start trying LEO defensive ammo soon to find a carry ammo- found a decent online retail source for LEO ammo overrun and will share my findings when I have tried some. Which defensive rounds have you tried in your Caracal? Have you found any that don't run well?

8. pneuby

pneuby New Member

So far, only 10rs each of White-Box USA JHP, and 20 of Cor-Bon 90 grain JHP (NOS). THis is after about 100rds of mixed ball, and the gun was somewhat settled-in. No probs.

9. ace

ace New Member

I shot both 50 round boxes of these this weekend and all 100 fired flawlessly.

10. UrbanTiger74

UrbanTiger74 New Member

Recently took my Cat Compact out and shot 50 rounds of Wolf Polyformance ammo without a hitch. Very accurate at 7 yards too. Here's the vid link to the range test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDQM380dEa8

11. NevadaBob

NevadaBob New Member

I've run both Wal-Mart red & white box through my model C without a hitch. Also, my reloads using Win 231 & AA#5 run great as well.

12. divotmaker

divotmaker New Member

Has anyone tried +p+ factory loads ( ex I have 115 gr Federal 9BPLE) in their Caracal?

Often manufacturer legalese will recommend against using ( see SW M&P, Walther) yet duty guns will run these loads. Users on those forums report no problem with occasional use.

Not suggesting steady diet, just curious if anyone has run say 50-100rounds of +p+ thru their Caracal and if so feedback?

13. e_l_q

e_l_q New Member

i'm using teflon reloads from my local reloading station for club shoots and target practice.

i noticed that I frequently experience failure to extract (20% of total rounds fired) with "elongated/long" bulllet

I requested them to adjust the length of the bullet a little bit shorter than usual ( I do not have the exact measurement).

With this set-up, I have fired around 150 trouble-free rounds (no more FTEs)

14. UrbanTiger74

UrbanTiger74 New Member

Just bought a box of these Hornady Duty 135gr 9mm today for the Compact Cat. Will see if it can swallow these without any issues.

15. alanp65

alanp65 New Member

My EDC ammo is 124gr +P Ranger Talon T and it runs just fine. I have also tried some 135gr Hydrashock, Remington 115gr JHP, and some leftover issue ammo that I has been laying around. Pretty sure it is Speer Gold Dot 124 +P. haven't had any problems at all. With any +P ammo in a compact polymer gun expect more recoil and shoot only enough to determine the reliability with your gun. As for any of the other SD rounds, all reputable manufacture design their ammo to FBI ballistic specs for maximum penetration and expansion. General rule of thumb that I follow is carry what your local LEO's carry. Gives your attorney better leverage in the event you ever have to defend yourself.

16. bulm540

bulm540 New Member

shot 200 rounds of tula ammo in my gun. No problems whatsoever.