Why I chose a Caracal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lead Slanger, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Lead Slanger

Lead Slanger New Member

Well, I started out looking for a new sidearm for my wife. She has a Ruger LCR and doesn't really like the recoil in a 14.5 oz revolver. On top of that, she can't really shoot it good either. Not exatly the way you want to perform of feel about your carry piece. I wanted her to have a pistol that she likes, can shoot well and wants to carry. She loves my CZ 75 and can shoot it really well. I come to a conclusion that it was the great ergonomics, long sight radius and light recoil that played a big part in her falling in love with it, so the hunt was on.

I started looking for a pistol that had all of those qualities. I looked at several different popular sidearms, new and old, and didn't run across anything that just screamed "Hey! I'm the one you want!". First of all, there were a few things that automatically knock a carry pistol in the head for me. A manual thumb saftey, that's the first on the list of no-no's for me and her both. We don't have a problem at all carrying a pistol that has no saftey and don't want a thumb saftey on one, so that eliminated several right off the bat. I kept digging and searching though. I finally ran across a pistol I had read about several months prior and had forgotten all about.....the Caracal. I had an idea of the perfect sidearm in my head and the Caracal C fit that bill. Concealable, just the right amount of weight, simplicity, a low bore axis, the caliber we were looking for, a long sight radius, no manual thumb saftey and nothing but positive reviews everywhere I looked. Every since I re-discovered the Caracal, I never had a doubt that this was the perfect pistol for her and possibly me. :) I placed an order for one the other day and it is on it's way as we speak. I can't wait to lay my hands on it and get her out to the range to see what she thinks about it. She told me if she didn't like it, I could have it. I told her once you like it and keep it, I will have to get one. I'm thinking a Caracal C with quick sights.....Hmmm.... :)

2. jdeloach

jdeloach New Member

They are addictive little shooters.....aren't they

3. jaybee

jaybee New Member

I think you've chosen well. My wife is also not fond of shooting a lightweight revolver, cant wait to turn her on to the Caracal. Hope yours is pleased too...

4. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Looking forward to hearing the rest of the story! Let us know how she likes it and how you like it ;)

5. Fight or Flight

Fight or Flight New Member

The Caracal does cover all the bases, as far as having all or most of the attributes that i want in a pistol.

6. okie67

okie67 Member

Very good story! These are great pistols, I'm amazed at how many people check them out when we go the range...

7. ddleatherworks

ddleatherworks New Member

Most people look at them like a Glock knock-off until they get one in their hands and see the difference for themselves. I remember being down at Waffen Werks a couple years ago and Keith handing me one and making the comment "they are as reliable as a Glock". I kinda thought that was a bold statement to make with a pistol so new to the US, but seeing myself with the ones I have and the ones I've fooled with over the past two years I'm starting to believe it.

8. Urban_Redneck

Urban_Redneck New Member

I was very close to buying a PPQ... Then totally out of character, I bought mine without ever having held one.

IMHO, Caracal needs to take a page from the Glock playbook and market the heck out of the gun. If what it takes to get off the shelf holsters made is an order for 100 units they should do it. Set up a good website where folks can order mags, holsters, RSAs, front sights, etc. I don't know if SAI has the desire or the capital to perform a credible campaign.

$0.02

9. wildcatvox

wildcatvox New Member

10. wildcatvox

wildcatvox New Member

@jaybee...i tried your painted sight... it works good...but in low light im having a problem seeing the white dot...plus my eye proble too... :geek: it works!!! cool ideas...

11. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

I think you hit the nail on the head UR. But this is the situation with EVERY competing pistol manufacturer.

At the end of the day though, the successful business is not the manufacturer of a great product, but rather the marketer of one. The Glock and Springfield XD are the most purchased pistols in the land, not because they are the best, but because they are the best marketed.

Like it or not, you and I (and the other forum members) represent a very small minority of buyers. When it comes to a firearm purchasing decision, we trust ourselves, our own instincts, more than we do others. The large majority of buyers follow a herd mentality (in all markets). They purchase a product because they have a friend or colleague that has the same product. They don't have the time or desire to research other product offerings and truth be told, it's important for them to be a part of the "club" - to feel like they belong to the larger majority. It's a safer route.

As unpopular a statement as this may be to some, without drastic change, the Caracal pistols will continue to be a blip on the radar...just as the Steyr pistols are. This is not a personal slight against any one company or it's employees. It's reality. I think SAI has to figure out if they want to spend the resources to market their own gun before they worry about putting together a large campaign for another's. :|

12. Urban_Redneck

Urban_Redneck New Member

I agree. IMHO, based on historical observation, SAI/GSI will probably send out some T&E guns to writers, place some ads, and then simply service the resulting demand. I don't believe they will mount a sustained marketing campaign on their own.

Until a 40 S&W version becomes available to compete for law enforcement sales and Caracal UAE decides they want to sell a lot of pistols in the US, develops Caracal USA for importation, sales, parts, etc. we're (Caracal owners) in that purgatory between riding the crest of the next wave of polymer pistol design and being eccentric pistol cranks.

YMMV

13. jaybee

jaybee New Member

Well said!

14. caracalized

caracalized New Member

How u compare caracal c with cz rami in terms of conceal carry ?
    Is caracal c is more concealable ?

15. Fight or Flight

The other problem for Caracal is that when some folks realize that its an Arab owned company, they will run in the opposite direction. I have read numerous objections to the Caracal on various forums, based solely on this fact.

16. Urban_Redneck

Urban_Redneck New Member

As reports of the Caracal pistol's performance and utility trickle out, people with outsized emotional (and financial) investment in other platforms need something, anything, to defend their "faith". Racism is simply the closest piece of debris for their shipwrecked mind to cling to.

YMMV

17. e_l_q

e_l_q New Member

nice shooting vox!

elythegreat here of PPF

18. Fight or Flight

As reports of the Caracal pistol's performance and utility trickle out, people with outsized emotional (and financial) investment in other platforms need something, anything, to defend their "faith". Racism is simply the closest piece of debris for their shipwrecked mind to cling to.

YMMV[/quote:sysi9q40]

True.