Why Consistent High Quality Training is Important

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Predecessor, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

2. HKmanlp1

HKmanlp1 New Member

Gotta love those double action only trigger pulls, LOL

3. pneuby

pneuby New Member

Well, you could assert that THEY were 'professionally' trained. So, what's your point? :?

I think most anyone who participates in a gun-oriented chat-room is probably a lot more 'into' firearms than all but the tiniest percentage of the folks in blue. More practice, more familiarity, maybe just as much(or more) so-called professional training.

Trainers and shooters alike make much to-do about performing under 'stress',. Stress is getting short of funds before your next check. Running late for work, for the third time this week. Getting a flat tire in rush hour, on the freeway...etc.

The 'fear-factor' when it's right-in-front of you, FOR REAL.....can be staggering for many, regardless of training.

Yeah, they suffer with a 10lb pull in their Glocks. I'm sure that's not helping matters, either.

4. ed_l

ed_l New Member

The NYPD Glocks and other handguns have trigger pulls of around 12 lbs.

The cops were also shooting at a moving gunman while moving themselves. It was a very high stress fast breaking situation.

At least 4 of the rounds that hit the gunman were reported to have exited the gunman.

5. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

I have no doubt that this was a difficult situation. That stress and fear were involved. Not fair to armchair quarterback for the two LEO's involved either. And in no way am I asserting that I personally would have handled the situation with ease and aplomb.

But that doesn't mean we give a pass on 9 civilians being shot as collateral damage on something like this either. We sit down and determine what measures could have and should be taken to better handle this type of situation in the future (and I doubt that moving from the 9MM to the .40 S&W is the answer as was the panacea after 1986). Is the implication that the sidearms used were more difficult to shoot accurately because of the trigger weight? Than why are those firearms being used? Or can something be done to improve the marksmanship of LEOS placed in similar situations in the future?

I suspect that consistent high quality training was missing from the general regimen of these officers. I suspect that it is missing from the large majority of civilian concealed carriers. We all have to live our lives and can't spend everyday shooting, I get that. But I also feel that there is a general false assumption by gun owners that the mere possession of a pistol constitutes the proper deterrent to a threat. I think that the need for proper and consistent training is highly underestimated and this is the primary point that I was trying to make with this post. ;)

6. pneuby

pneuby New Member

Training. I hear 'ya. We ALL can use more of it. But, it's a minnd-boggling effort to get around 40k NYPD cops through qualification TWICE per year. Not much time for 'training', other than their measured scores. IIRC, NYPD'ers can also choose S&W, or Sig DAO, EITHEr of which has a much better pull than a Glock. But, guess what is teh cheapest gun when YOU are the one that has to pay for it?