What I Learned from SHOT 2012

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Predecessor, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

So, I made a fast and furious trip to Vegas the night of the 18th and cruised through the show on Thursday and half of Friday. I missed the Caracal media range trip, not a big deal as I am already very familiar with how the pistol shoots, but I wanted to chat with some of the folks in the industry who have shied away from the gun till now and find out what they thought of their time with it. (If you participated in this range session, let us know your thoughts!)

I did get to swing by the Caracal booth and visit a bit - not nearly as long or as thoroughly as I wanted to, but here are some things I learned:

1) Wilhelm Bubits is the salt of the earth. What a genuine, humble, and very likable man! Oh, and he's not a bad engineer either :p We chatted for a bit and I learned that in addition to fathering the Steyr M and S pistols, (which is generally common knowledge) that he was also the principle designer of the Walther PPS (another exceptional pistol!) I invited him to join the Caracal Forum and I think we'll be fortunate to have him participate with us soon! I'm going to try and figure out a good sub-forum that will allow us to really glean some neat things from him from an engineering standpoint, so stay tuned...

2) Caracal IS planning to resume importation into the US -- When? That still remains to be seen. They seemed to think that it would happen within just a few months and they are trying to get the pistols into the hands of several larger and more mainstream distributors on this go-around. They've still got a few things to figure out from a sales and marketing standpoint but we're pulling for them and the resources are there for them if they play their cards right.

3) All of the standard sight Caracal pistols on display had 3 dot sight systems rather than the straight 8's that were initially imported through Waffen Werks. I hope they are not planning on utilizing that configuration on future imports but I didn't get a chance to determine their plans in that regard - something I will follow-up on.

4) I also didn't get the scoop as to where the Caracal SC is on the importation process either - but I'm eagerly anticipating it's arrival. Mr. Bubits certainly made my mouth water indicating that it is essentially the same width as a PPS but with the 13 round mag! :ugeek:

5) So, all-in-all, I probably have more questions than answers but I have the contacts now to get those answers and will do my best to encourage better communication between Caracal owners and Caracal-USA moving forward!

So what are some questions you might have that I can dig into?

2. Firewire

Firewire New Member

Wow! Excellent info! Glad you got to go also speak to Bubits. I didn't realize he was involved with the PPS.

3. okie67

okie67 Member

THat is awesome!Yep a chat with Bubits would be great,glad to see Caracal making some headway.Cant wait to see their new products this year.. :mrgreen:

4. victor

victor New Member

Wow. This is awesome. :)

5. Armando1228

Armando1228 New Member

Who is going to do warranty work for the pistols now?

6. ddleatherworks

ddleatherworks New Member

From what I understand GSI Inc (Caracal USA) will now the importer which makes sense as they have been importing the Caracal owned Merkel shotguns for quite a while now. So I would say that the warranty work would go thru them once they get everything up and running.

7. apvbguy

apvbguy New Member

does anyone have any contact info for GSI?

8. ddleatherworks

ddleatherworks New Member

GSI Inc.
    7661 Commercial Lane
    Trussville, AL 35173
    205-655-8299

Caracal USA
    7601 Commercial Lane
    Trussville, AL 35173
    205-655-7050