Two Failure to Fire

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mw49, Jul 19, 2012.

1. mw49

mw49 New Member

After 350 + rounds in my last two times at the range I had two failures to fire. The primer is hit, the round is not ejected, the slide is locked open and another round becomes wedged to the point I have to pull on the slide, press the mag release while someone else pulls the mag out. :shock:

I put the hit round back in and it does fire. Has anyone experienced this particular issue? Thanks in advance.

2. okie67

okie67 Member

What brand of ammo? I have had Monarch brand do that same thing to me before.Did you try the round in a different pistol?

3. jdeloach

jdeloach New Member

Sounds like a weak primer issue with that round, but could be wrong. I have yet to have any issues through approximately 2000 rounds down range.

4. ed_l

ed_l New Member

In reading your description I'm not really clear what happened.

If the round failed to fire, how did the slide lock open? Since the slide moving back requires the round to go off?

Do you mean that the round fired but the case stayed in the chamber so that the slide cycled and tried to feed another round, but couldn't because there was an empty case still in the chamber?

5. HKmanlp1

HKmanlp1 New Member

Most definitely sounds like a ammo issue.

6. mw49

mw49 New Member

Everyone, I'm using Federal 115 FMJ. As I stated, the round was eventually removed and put back into the chamber and it did fire.

On the slide becoming locked....once I pulled it back to disengage the FTF round it locked open, but did not eject the round.

I appreciate all of the speedy replies. I will put about 100 more rounds through it this weekend and if this happens again I will photograph my troubles.....if it doesn't happen... :D .

7. ed_l

ed_l New Member

Was there a mark on either primer after the round failed to detonate?

From what you are describing it sounds like in those occasions that the slide isn't closing all the way. I mean it is a very almost impercievable amount.

So when you pull the trigger it does not hit the primer; and when you try to manually work the slide to eject a round, it fails to eject because the extractor is not fully on the case because the slide wasn't completely closed.

The above is me trying to figure it out and put the facts together from your description. I could be completely wrong.

Federal is usually decent ammo.

How many rounds do you have through the gun?

When was the last time you cleaned the chamber?

Have you been using any Eastern Block steel cased ammo like Wolf or Monarch or some other brand of dirty ammo?

8. mw49

mw49 New Member

The primer was hit, there was an indentation on it.

Approx. 350 + rds thru the gun and no TulAmmo, Wolf or such dirty ammo used within the last 300 rds.

The gun was cleaned after the 350 rds, as a test to it's willingness to shoot clean or dirty. On these two FTF, the gun was cleaned a few days prior to my going to the range.

Thanks....

9. ed_l

ed_l New Member

Hmmm, that is strange.

I really don't know. My only though is that *maybe* it was closed enough that the striker could strike the firing pin, but not closed enough that it would be a full strike.

I am guessing here.

From your description, I'm keying on the fact that the round did not detonate both time followed by the fact that the round did not eject when you tried to manually eject it by pulling the slide back.

I would clean the heck out of it and try some different ammo.

10. mw49

mw49 New Member

70 rds down range a few days ago....no prob. :D . For now thanks for the input from all.