tokarev.....overview of romanian, yugo(m57), and polish...

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by jhb, Nov 5, 2012.

1. jhb

jhb New Member

whats' to like about these pistols.....still on the cheaper side, although prices rising and supply is getting scarcer. one potent round the 7.62x25mm. has been said to punch holes in low level kevlar armor. one loud bang if that's your thing....not mine, but to each their own.....and a fireball that will scare most folks. good effective design that makes working on them easy for a beginner. an interesting history, and just a pistol design that is hard to not like if you like browning's pistol designs.

these come packed in cosmoline. i used gun scrubber to get most of it out, but had to take them apart to get it all out. firing pin channel was packed, the hammer group, was packed, etc. once i removed the one piece hammer group and cleaned the cosmoline out my polish rattled and m57 is a rattle machine, so much so i ordered another hammer group to see if it's the part of the frame/slide tolerances that are off. still fires fine and feels safe, just rattles like mad. meanwhile the romanian was still snug. so contrary to popular belief, i didn't find the polish any better machined or finished than the romanian other than the slide cuts more true to the original. all three i felt were about equal in machining and finish, other than the rattling hammer groups in the polish and m57 versions i own. guess it's a crap shoot though on which one you get.

i took cellphone pics and they are not good, but i'm no photographer, so they are good enough for what i need them for......

so first pic the three in order....romanian cugir, m57 yugo/serbia zastava, polish...no idea what factory made this one, no markings other than the import stamp.
    [​IMG]

the biggest differences between them is the romanian and serbian versions have standard cuts on the slide. the polish version is truer to the original russian with it's odd shaped cuts. the serbian also has a longer grip than the other two....which i think looks better and feels better, but the shorter grip on the rom and polish is not problematic though. i'll show pics of pistols in the hand later on.....

the m57 serbian also has a two piece fixed guide rod, and of course a longer magazine, and different added for import safety setup. zastava does the safety themselves vs. the century boys on the rom and polish. other than that the parts are pretty close.

pic 2.....size comparisons to known pistols.....

compared to a cat f...
    [​IMG]

caracal f, tok, bulgarian makarov
    [​IMG]

the tok is a full sized pistol, but smaller than you'd think and the pic kinda does a good job showing it. the design is super thin, and it's a pretty good design other than the grip design, which is awkward, at first, but feels more useable/natural over time.

compared to a colt 1991 1911 series 80 mil spec.....
    [​IMG]

the 1911 is huge in comparison, but the size is misleading at the tok barrel is 4.5" give or take depending on country manufacture.

compared to a steyr c9....
    [​IMG]

side by side with a cat f for thickness comparison....
    [​IMG]

grip size is different between the m57 serbian version and the rom, polish and the russian original....

here is a pic in hand of the standard tok grip....
    [​IMG]

i have smallish hands. the tok fits my hand perfect but with no room to spare. anyone with normal to large hands is likely gonna find a finger falling off the grip, i would imagine.

in comparison if you own a caracal f, you can see how my fingers line up on the grip compared to the standard tok, so you can get an idea on your own gun where your fingers fall on the cat f and might fall on the tok.....
    [​IMG]

here is a pic of the m57 version with the extra grip and round mag....
    [​IMG]

there is plenty out there on all three version on disassembly and modifications/replacing parts, etc. no need to reinvent the wheel here. figured if any caracal guys had an interest in these fantastic eastern bloc military pistols they enjoy the comparisons to the caracal f, etc.

hope you enjoyed my bad comparison pics.;)

2. Auguste Capone

Auguste Capone New Member

Re: tokarev.....overview of romanian, yugo(m57), and polish.

Thanks for the pics. Good comparisons.

3. Series80

Series80 New Member

Pretty impressive collection and a nice review ,Ive been pondering picking up a Tok for a few years took me a while to get my MAK and I love it , I have the PPS43 in Tok and I like the round ,it is a biter but the pps handles it well I suppose the Tok does good too!

4. jhb

jhb New Member

thank you gents. i'm no plouffedaddy at reviews/comparisons, etc. i'm certainly not a good picture taker.....not good w/camera or cell phone cam.

i've torn these toks down since this post, the m57 does have a few different parts that do not interchange......easily. the trigger part seems to be slightly different. the barrel length is different. most of the parts are very similar, but would require some minor gun smithing to swap from a ttc to the m57......from what i can tell without more examples of m57's and other ttc's to play with and compare.

all in all i prefer the m57 to the others due to the larger grip size and extra round magazine. plus i think it looks better. ymmv.

forgot to say......on recoil i find the ttc's to be about like a plastic 9mm......ymmv, as recoil is very subjective. very flat shooting round out of these pistols. i like this round out of a pistol so much....i think all should own one. i prefer it to the .357 sig, myself.

5. machinegunnertim

machinegunnertim New Member

Excellent review. I own two Romanian and one Yugo M57 pistols along with a Carcal F and that's it for my centerfire handguns. The 7.62x25 is a very impressive round. To bad it never caught on in the states. If I could have a Caracal in that caliber I'd be the happiest Caracal owner!

I am currently putting together a 1911 and an AR in 7.62x25

6. jhb

jhb New Member

Thank you Sir,and welcome to the forum.

I've been tempted to do a 1911 conversion myself. When you get it done.....please come on back by the forums and show us some pics and feedback of it runs. Looking forward to it.