Thoughts on painting QS sights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blacksmithjk, Jul 23, 2012.

1. blacksmithjk

blacksmithjk New Member

I have been following this forum for the last two weeks having purchased my Caracal C with quick sights about six weeks ago. I was going to see if Tooltech Gunsight, Inc. would be able to put in Trijicon sights as that is who Trijicon recommended. Then I read the post on the Waffen Werks Caracals and when I read about the potential collectors value (mine is one of those SN CL 615) I had second thoughts about having any drilling of the back sight done least I screw up collectability.
    I have now ordered some Bright Sight paint with the intention of brightening up the front sight dot and painting the back sight up in some manner to make it easier to see at the range. I am not sure what I should paint on the back sight to get best results so I am asking for some thoughts on this.
    I am new to this forum and I have read a lot of good information here which I appreciate. I live in the Madison, Wisconsin area.

2. jdeloach

jdeloach New Member

For quick target acquisition, I really wouldn't worry so much about the rear sight (personally) making the front sight bright with a dark rear would be my preference.

3. livewire

livewire New Member

your stock slide is black paint your rear dot with bright white so that you can acquire longer target with the 8 sight system faster.

just my two cents. my caracal c is painted in silver so i painted my rear dot black front white for me to acquire target easier.

4. jaybee

jaybee New Member

I've found painting the rear sight works great. No downside as far as I am concerned...

5. ed_l

ed_l New Member

I think I would just try painting the front sight, shoot it and see how it works, then maybe try painting the rear sight, maybe a different color for the rear sight.

When I called Tooltech to have the tritium sight put in, they referred me to Amerigun (I discuss the whole thing with photos in this thread: http://www.caracalforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=419). I had the a white outline tritium dot installed in the front sight only.

It seems to be a natural fit as for me even in darkness the front tritium sight comes up naturally between the rear blades of the QS sights. I tried this by turning the lights out, bringing the empty gun into a shooting position, then turning the lights on without disturbing the gun's position.

Replacing the front sight only on the QS sights seems to work well from the gunsmithing standpoint since the front sight dot is easy to do since there is already a dot there to aid the gunsmith in drilling the hole. The rear blads have no such hole, so positioning any dots to align with the front sight would be much trickier.

I don't know that having the sights drilled to install a front tritium sight would do that much to the collectability of a modern gun. We are not talking about a WWII all original 1911 or a WWII Lugar. Really, how much more value does a Waffen Works imported QS Carical C have? I mean, if you are not going to shoot the gun and put it away, that's one thing. But for practical use it's a whole different story.

6. livewire

livewire New Member

this is what i did with my sights.

[​IMG][​IMG]