The Last of the Waffen Werks Quick Sites

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Predecessor, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

So my apologies first for what is probably going to be a long (and somewhat commercially related) post but I hope Caracal owners and collectors (and future owners and collectors) will find this info valuable:

As you no doubt know, Waffen Werks was the original importer of the Caracal pistols to the States. (Steyr Arms International is the current importer (as of June 2012).

There are approximately 1600 to 1700 Waffen Werks marked pistols in the US with the large majority being the Standard Sight F Models. Of that number, very few had the Quick Site configuration. Approximately 50 F (QS) models and 66 C (QS) models with the Waffen Werks marking originally made it into the states. Those are very rare numbers and those of us who own one or several of those pistols counted ourselves lucky.

A few months ago, Steyr was able to import a handful of additional QS pistols as part of the Talo buy. I have never been able to obtain any exact or estimated numbers from Steyr or Caracal as to how many there were but based on the availability at distributors the numbers have been small. However, the consensus from a collectors standpoint is that these will not be valued as high as the Waffen Werks pistols because of the higher import numbers.

Recently, Waffen Werks obtained their last 100 pistols from Caracal to complete their original purchase made several year ago. The bad news for collectors is that these are all Quick Site models. The good news for potential collectors is that these are all Quick Site models. :p Regardless of these additional imports, the total number of Waffen Werks QS models is extremely low. Here are the new figures:

Caracal F (QS) (WW): 78 total

Caracal C (QS) (WW): 138 total

I was fortunate to obtain these latest and last Waffen Werks marked QS pistols and they are available at http://www.compactfirearms.com for purchase. Currently, the price is only $497+$9.97 shipping per pistol. While that is lower than what the original WW QS pistols sold for, it is higher than a Steyr import and the price will rise to maintain the value of the original imports as supply decreases. (I was only able to negotiate these prices because of the presence of the Steyr imports.) New owners will be pleased. Original owners may be somewhat dismayed.

I'm not in the usual habit of promoting my business on this forum, but think this is an excellent opportunity for Caracal forum users to pick up a rare WW marked QS pistol if interested. I'm excited about some new features that we are offering at Compact Firearms. Primarily, we now offer a Loyalty Rewards program where you can earn points for registering on the web site, purchasing products, writing reviews, and telling others about the site. You can cash these points in on discounts and other merchandise (like Caracal Mags!). You will earn 5 points for every quality pistol review you write and 5 points everytime you post a quality, pertinent, post on another gun related forum telling others about the site. (we're not looking for spam posts in other forums. If the conversation leans towards somebody looking to purchase a product online and it's appropriate, please tell them about the web site :cool: )

The program is still in it's infancy and we will probably have to work out a few bugs but I'm hopeful for the best and look forward to implementing a similar rewards style program for forum participation down the road!

2. Firewire

Firewire New Member

I've always appreciated the facts and figures you provide! Great info!

3. mabgrac

mabgrac New Member

I do not have a QS model, but am wondering how to tell who imported mine. I am not seeing any obvious import marks.

4. okie67

okie67 Member

Bottom of the trigger guard.

[​IMG]

5. EvilNuff

EvilNuff New Member

My Caracal C QS has the waffen markings on the trigger guard. So if I understand you correclty, that means that mine is one of only 138 C QS in the original shipments? That seems incredibly low.

6. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Which I really appreciate. I definitely prefer pistols with discreet import markings.

Yes it does. But there you have it. Enjoy!

7. mabgrac

mabgrac New Member

Thanks, I looked everywhere but there. So I have a Waffen Works Fixed Sight C model. Any numbers on how many of those were imported?

8. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

I don't have exact numbers on these pistols unfortunately - from what I was told though I think there were roughly 400 from the original import, and maybe a couple hundred brought in as part of the Talo buy (these will have a brassy/gold inlay to the serial number on the slide). Still, very low numbers when you consider that many manufacturers produce special "limited" runs of firearms in the 500 volume.

9. Firewire

Firewire New Member

I thought I was going to have some great news on a lucky find, but sadly it was not. If anyone is interested there has been an "F" QS sitting at a pawn shop in OKC for months now. Priced at $449, but it is stamped SAI, not the ultra rare Waffen Werks!

http://www.soonerstatepawn.com/pistols.html

10. ed_l

ed_l New Member

Wow, I have one of the original Waffenwerks QS models.

I sent my gun to Amerigun and had them put a white outline tritium dot in the front sight and it works really well.

I should probably start a new thread for that.

11. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

[quote="ed_l"I should probably start a new thread for that.[/quote]

Yes, you should :p And please add pics too!

12. ed_l

ed_l New Member

13. alanp65

alanp65 New Member

Predecessor -
    Do you know if the serial number on the gun has anything to do with the number of WW pistols that made it to the States? I have a WW C-QS numbered in the mid 300's. Also, do you have any idea of the future value of these guns?

14. ddleatherworks

ddleatherworks New Member

I don't think there was any order in the serial # range on the QS's all of mine are in the high 400 range. If I can remember I will ask Keith next time I'm at Waffen Werks. As far as value I've heard of some going for quite a bit of money. I'm sure 1/3 or more of the WW marked QS's are probably here local. Some of us were able to buy them directly from Waffen Werks when Keith was getting out of the importation and everyone seemed to want the QS over the standard sights.

15. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

The answer is "yes" and "no" :twisted:

First I want to remind readers that we're talking specifically about WW marked C QS models...

That being said, most of the first batch of 66 that I saw were in the CL4XX Range (of those I sold approximately 15 so you might have received a different serial set than I saw specifically). The second and final batch of 72 are actually from earlier serial number sets (IE: CD, CH, CI and CL0XX).

So, a buyer today could get a lower serial number than what most WW C QS owners already have. But I honestly don't think they will be worth anymore. The numbers are too random. If all 138 were sequential, then perhaps the first might demand a premium price but otherwise, I feel like all 138 are of equal value.

As to the future value you ask? Hard to tell right now. Some paid as much as $700 for their early WW C QS. The few that I have left for sale are only selling for $497 primarily because of the low cost of the SAI imports right now. We have no idea what the next batch of Caracals will sell for when they arrive (my guess is they will cost more; based on my intel the current price is teaser rate). Once the last of the WW C QS pistols sell, their value will go up considerably because supply will be gone and demand will only increase as this pistol is marketed. That being said, it is only worth what a collector is willing to spend and what the supply and demand are like. Fact is, there are only 138 of them (and several of us own two or more) so if this pistol takes off, then demand will increase and the value of the available supply (owners of the 138) will increase.

I don't know if my response helped or not unfortunately :lol:

Bottom line: Enjoy shooting your WW C QS and smile an inward smile knowing that you have something unique when your buddies all go out and buy SAI imports over the next few years ;)

16. alanp65

alanp65 New Member

Thanks for the info. Actually helps a lot.
    Either way on the current or future value, I plan to continue shooting my C-QS. I don't have many safe queens....Especially combat weapons. Guns are meant to be shot and I enjoy doing so.
    As for that inward smile, I think I will be grinning. I traded in another gun that had plenty of equity and walked out the door for $125. Didn't even know the WW was unique until I found the forum. :D

17. okie67

okie67 Member

My three:
    F Quicksight Serial LU 3XX
    F Standard Serial BU 1XX
    C Quicksight Serial CL 4XX