The Caracal Trigger: Let me make sure...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rsh2k1, Jul 21, 2012.

1. rsh2k1

rsh2k1 New Member

So most of you are raving about the Caracal trigger. Every review I've ever read about the gun raved about the trigger, describing it as crisp, wonderful, etc.

This review from TTAG is an example:

"So what about the triggers? The Glock 19 shot like . . . a Glock. The trigger was very nice although it was little on the vague side and just a tad spongy. Yes, I’m nit picking. For many years, the Glock trigger has been the standard off-the-shelf go switch for obvious reasons.

The Caracal’s trigger was better in every way. It’s lighter by about a half a pound, sported a very positive, audible reset, a shorter throw and felt just about perfect. If I was going to order a trigger job from my gunsmith on any traditional striker-fired pistol, I’d hand him the Caracal and say “make it work like this.” The Caracal’s trigger shines like the desert sun."

Here's the thing. I've now put... say 2000 rounds through the Caracal C, and probably 5000 rounds on a Glock 19. Granted, I did put the 3.5lb Ghost trigger into the Glock, but apart from the weight of pull, the trigger did not feel any differently to me in terms of the break and reset.

My Caracal shoots great, but the trigger is... how shall I describe it... a bit spongy compared to the Glock.

The Glock trigger has a bit of takeup (maybe 2-3mm) and you hit this firm resistance. There's almost no resistance at all during this takeup phase. Then when you pull past the resistance, it breaks decisively, "like a glass rod breaking". Then the reset goes only to that break point, and you can immediately "break the glass rod" again. You Glock shooters probably know what I mean.

The Caracal trigger, on the other hand, has a takeup phase (again, 2-3mm) that feels like I'm pressing against a spring. A small light spring maybe, but there is some resistance there for sure. There is no firm resistance point as in a Glock; there is a point when I know I'm close to the break, but it's very very light/indistinct. Then the trigger breaks, and it is a clean one when it does, but because of the lack of that resistance point in the Glock, it doesn't feel like a glass rod breaking. More like a thin silk thread breaking, maybe. The trigger reset, I'm finding, is all the way back to the start, and then I start the takeup phase all over. Don't get me wrong -- the gun shoots better than I do, and I love almost everything about it, but if you love the Caracal trigger, and rave about it as the TTAG reviewer does, is it because it's so smooth? Without that "glass rod snapping" feel of the Glock trigger?

I honestly can't decide which I prefer at this point. I'm used to the Glock trigger more, of course, since I've had it longer and it's my carry piece, which means it gets the most time at the range. But I just want to make sure you all have the same/similar experience with the Caracal trigger as I have and this isn't unique to my weapon.

Thanks,

-rsh

2. Doc

Doc New Member

I took out my Caracal and Steyr M9-A1 and dry fired them as I read your post. It's interesting because with the Steyr, there is some takeup as you describe with the Glock... no resistance. However, it's break is sort of spider silky, as you describe with your Caracal, but it's a lighter break since I've done work on the trigger. It's consistent, and there is a definite break point, but it might feel less "glass rod-like" since I have a lighter striker spring than what is stock (in addition to some wire work).

When I pull the Caracal, I can feel the resistance in the takeup that you describe, but the break is still clean and solid as others describe it. It's heavier than my Steyr for sure. Perhaps the takeup resistance that is so distinctly absent from the Glock makes the Caracal seem less "glass rod-like" to you, since you're more used to your Glock's very perceivable-by-contrast break point.

3. jaybee

jaybee New Member

Having personal experience with only stock/unmodified glock triggers, I have yet to shoot a glock that elicited the glass rod breaking phrase. I would characterize the stock glock trigger as stacking slightly to moderately before the break- a noticable increase in trigger effort before releasing the striker. I would characterize the Caracal as the exact oposite, the change in trigger pull before breaking the shot is almost imperceptable.

4. ace

ace New Member

I have no glock to compare it to but I suppose it ultimately comes down to preference.

If you don't like your trigger, Galloway Precision is or is going to be offering trigger kits, maybe that could help?

5. rsh2k1

rsh2k1 New Member

I wouldn't say I don't like the trigger. I'm just getting used to it :)

I was just wondering if my experience fits in with all of yours, and if this is what reviewers were raving about. I could easily see coming to like it more since the Glock's 'glass-rod breaking' also means there's more of a chance to pull the gun off-alignment at that last moment.

If only N8Squared would hurry up and release a pro IWB holster for the Caracal C QS...

6. bulm540

bulm540 New Member

Love mine OTB, some people are saying it is a "glock perfected". Trigger is crispier than my Glock 22 set up for USPSA production with a challenger trigger kit. While the glock ( with a challenger kit) has a lighter trigger, there is sitll a fir amount of take up.

7. ed_l

ed_l New Member

My Carical C's trigger seems slightly lighter and crisper that any of my Glocks standard triggers.

8. livewire

livewire New Member

same experience here, caracal c trigger is the most crisp ive ever tried on oem setup.

9. Urban_Redneck

Urban_Redneck New Member

IMHO, "glass rod breaking" and striker fired pistols are mutually exclusive terms.

Some guns "stack" toward the break, some maintain the same weight to the break.

If you want a great trigger, get a good 1911.

:v:

10. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 New Member

I find the trigger on the Glock builds and then when it breaks my trigger finger crashes into the frame moving the sights off target. It takes a lot of practice for me to be able to shoot a Glock well enough to be able to group consistently. With the Caracal the trigger doesn't build and is the same constant weight once resistance on the trigger if felt making the Caracal much more predictable and consistent. I should trade or sell one of my Glocks to get the "F" Model to go along with my Compact.

11. bulm540

bulm540 New Member

I will be shooting mine in USPSA and IDPA starting September. Ordering a holster and reloading dies, brass and bullets.

12. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 New Member

Shot my Caracal Compact in my local USPSA Production Match this past Sunday. Shot it better than I ever did my Glock. Some Wal-Mart Federal 115gr. We're weak and I had one stovepipe, but I blame me shooting weak ammo more than the Caracal.

13. bulm540

bulm540 New Member

I was using tula ammo. No problems whatsoever.

14. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Triggers are funny things. What seems odd to one seems natural to another. Descriptions vary based on the user's experience and perception. The Caracal trigger does not perform like a single action 1911 trigger, nor does it mimic the pull of a Glock. Many shooters cut their teeth on a Glock. This trigger becomes normal to them and understandably they will compare other trigger pulls to the one they are used to. Likewise, shooters who are not weened on a Glock often are surprised by the stiffness of the Glock trigger and prefer the break on other triggers.

At the end of the day, which trigger is best for you? The one attached to the gun you shoot best :p

I am a fan of the stock Caracal trigger and find that it really performs intuitively at speed (which is primarily how I shoot the Caracal). Compare the break to a Walther PPQ in a dry-fire scenario and you might walk away unimpressed. But after you shoot the pistol faster and more accurately at speed you might just reverse your reaction :cool:

15. 8th ID

8th ID New Member

Predecessor--

In my practice/experience my Caracal C can be shot (by me) at a faster speed more accurately than any other poly pistol I've owned or shot, which includes G19, XDM, PPQ, M&P, CZ P-07. Not slamming anyone else's favorite pistol, I'm simply stating with a stock trigger on the Caracal, I can stay and/or get back on target quicker with the Caracal.

I have shot 12 local IDPA matches. I shoot either SSP Marksman, or ESP Marksman. I'm mediocre at best. But one of the 2 matches I shot with the Caracal C was my best match when averaged out by stage in TIME and ACCURACY. I'm now shooting my Caracal exclusively in IDPA.

For me it comes down to the trigger and softer recoil.

16. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Well said 8th ID - feel exactly the same only that I would add the stock sight picture of the Quick Sites or even the Straight Eights aids me as well... as almost all of those you listed present stock 3 dot sights with their pistol (Rear GP for Glock and CZ).