size of subcompact vs a shield of a glock 26?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by accgds, Oct 21, 2012.

1. accgds

accgds New Member

Does anyone know the size of the subcompact Caracal and how it relates to a Shield or a Glock 26.
    My c is so comfortable to shoot, it is my iwb carry gun. There are situations were a pocketpistol makes more sense.
    I think the 26 is too large for a pocket gun. I.'m leaning towards a shield.,P938.or a Nano. If the Caracal Sc is in that size range I will wait for that. Anyone have experience or recommendations please let me know!

Glock30
    RUGER SR9C
    Sig C3 1911 Ns and crimson trace
    CARACAL C....Favorite so far
    S&w .22A
    S&W K frame revolver

2. ormati

ormati New Member

I don't know much, but...

I have a C-QS and will buy an SC as soon as available.

I just bought a G27 to tide me over, and I'll get a 9 conversion barrel for it.

My wife has a Nano and it's a great little piece. Unlike some other manufacturers that pander to an uninformed market (imo) Beretta made the right decision and added the weight and removed the controls to make this a very smooth and shootable 9. I almost got one for myself I like it so much for a pocketable single-stack.

Her next thing will be an inox tomcat 32.

We considered a p290 but found the nano a better choice in several respects.

My opinion of the shield is that I'd just go up a small step in size and get the M&P C or down and get the nano.

hope this helps

3. accgds

accgds New Member

it does help. The nano seems very solid, the shield trigger is supposed to be better though, I can tell you from experience, there is no advantage the m&p9C has over the Caracal C. That why I'd really like to know where the caracal SC will fall size wise. The Sig p938 is still a choisce also, albeit 300.00 more.
    Thanks for the input

4. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

I haven't held one yet, but based on my conversations with the designer, I think the Caracal SC will be similar to the size of a Walther PPS.

Everyone has a different classification for a pocket pistol. I can fit a lot of pistols, including the Caracal C into a front jean pocket without anything sticking out. I can even do this with a 4.75" barreled Colt SAA -- but this doesn't mean it really works as an effective handgun for pocket carry.

I can fit any of the current crop of popular "sub-compact" Nines in a cargo pocket just fine. But none of them really properly fit my requirement for front pocket carry and certainly none of them will fit in my back pocket either.

This is why the only true pocket pistols I own are .22, .25 ACP, .32 ACP, or .380 ACP

And a Rohrbaugh or a Boburg just doesn't make financial sense to me when I feel the above cartridges are still viable for SD.

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 New Member

Some pistols may fit in a pocket but are not easy or quick to remove and print more than some think. And cargo pockets don't mean pocket or quick to access. I have pocket carried mainly for 26 years and 20 for that with a 5 shot snubby at work. If your a small or very thin guy for get the 9mm for pocket carry. I changed to a very pocketable kt pf9 for a couple years then found the kahr cm9. The KT or kahr are not for tighter fit pants but for the guy that wears dockers, columbias or real jeans the smallest 9mm's and j frame sized revolers work fine. When you step up in size to m&p shield , glock 26/27 this new caracal sc and other like sized pistols pocket carry is not practical for pocket unless your the size of a NFL linmen. The nano might be a bit heavy at 17oz + ammo. Just have to try it and have a real friend tell you how one looks for real world carry. It does not have a great trigger pull but other wise seems to be a good pistol. These real subcompact 9mm are only 2 finger on the grip pistols so if you have grip issues they may not be a good choice at all. One size up , the shield the funture SC and my other kahr a cw9 and baby glocks are way easier to shot and offer a full enough grip for good control really are a iwb carry pistol, well long mag for the block. The DB9 may finally be practical for some to carry after a couple year a of fine tuneing of the design but they are very light weight and again can the shooter control that little pistol. The SC looks from the colored overlays at caracal site its closer to the size of my CW9 but wider and 8oz heavier at 23oz. Think about it being a more concealable iwb pistol .

6. JFootin

JFootin New Member

IMO, the Kahr CM9 is a fantastic subcompact 9mm (also available in 40) that many people find to be great for pocket carry. Good quality, built like a tank, smoothest long DA trigger on the market, low bore axis and felt recoil for its size and weight, and the gun just gets smoother and smoother with more rounds. Here is a picture of my custom mirror polished beauty!

[​IMG]

7. accgds

accgds New Member

That is a very sweet looking gun.

8. Mark G.

Mark G. New Member

From what I understand it is 6.3 inches long. 4.4 inches high, .9 inches wide, barrel length is 3.4 inches, it weighs 23 oz. & holds 13 rounds. The guy at Caracal said they are waiting for ATF approval so who knows how long that is.

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 New Member

Saddly the SC is not going to be a pocket pistol. Nether is the shield or a CW9. But the CM/PM9 and 40 cal are. I CC a cm9. The nano is a real option if the weight is ok. Tthe p938 are the right size to but do you really want to deal with a 2922 style pistol with the safety and short heavy SA trigger for pocket use. For a cost wise pocket 9mm add the PF-9 and the lastest version of the DB9.

I can tell you that the baby kahrs are smoother and softer shooting.

The SC is going to be the heavest of the smaller pistols out there when it finally gets here at 23oz and sized more like the cw9 kahr and close to the s&w sheild but wider and waay heavier pistol. Seems like its a IWb pistol. .

Even the KT p-11 is a light at 15oz iwb option with 10 rounds mags and a sw model 59 mag can give you 15 round cap as back up or range use. But not a pocket option for most of use.

10. accgds

accgds New Member

Thanks for all your help. I ended up buying the Kahr cm9 for days I pocket carry. The cm9 works in all but one of my pairs of pants.