Shooting +P+ and/or submachine ammo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mandarin, May 20, 2013.

1. mandarin

mandarin New Member

I have my new replacement Caracal F and it shoots quite nicely, but the machining is definitely not as precise as my first Caracal was. You can tell they were doing these in a hurry to get them back to the States.

Well anyway, I've come across some old Egyptian submachine ammo and I've been itching to shoot it out of my Caracal. But first, before I shoot it, I'm wondering if anyone has shot +P+ or submachine out of their Caracal...I know sometimes it can get iffy with polymer frame pistols. My husband keeps saying I'm going to blow my pistol up if I shoot it out of it ;) , so I'd like to get some input from you all before I do anything.

2. LS719

LS719 New Member

Don't. The only pistol I know of designed to shoot submachine gun ammo was the CZ 52. I would not recommend using this ammo in anything other than what was designed to use it,unless you don't value your fingers/hand or possibly your eyes.

3. Urban_Redneck

Urban_Redneck New Member

+1 and if I recall correctly, that ammo is corrosive.

YMMV

4. jhb

jhb New Member

I'm not so sure of that. The cz52 while a fine pistol has a really thin chamber area for the roller or cam cutout compared to the tokarev...and while in the past the consensus online was the cz52 could handle ultra hot loads...it was based on those rollers that reminded people of a sub gun like the mg42 for example and the sher bulk of the cz52, more than anything else....but lately I've noticed the direction has changed.

All that aside.....the current consensus is all 7.62x25 ammo was always sub machinegun ammo and hence I guess it could be said the tokarev which has been shown to be the stronger pistol and th cz52 can handle sub machinegun rounds, since that is what 7.62x25mm always was. So fair statement you made but you left out the stronger of the two pistols...the tt-33.

5. mandarin

mandarin New Member

Thanks for all the replies.
    I looked up the FPS and it's around 1270, so it "should be safe" to shoot, but I did call Caracal first and they said they weren't entirely sure about +P+, but that the Caracal can handle +P just fine. I went ahead and tried one round, however the primer was too hard and the round never went off so I guess I won't be shooting any of it afterall.

6. Doc

Doc New Member

Just a friendly tip: bullet velocities do not correlate with peak pressures. Though it seems the point is moot since the rounds won't fire, I would agree with everyone else and err on the side of caution. No point in risking personal injury for the sake of a few extra rounds you have sitting around.

7. Aielman

Aielman New Member

You know, I've called Caracal on a number of engineering questions and find them to be "not entirely sure" about a great many things regarding what they sell.

It's actually rather frustrating.

8. Auguste Capone

Auguste Capone New Member

Guess you'll just have to get a permit and an MP5. :D

9. LS719

LS719 New Member

Must depened on where the info on the 7.62x25 ammo comes from.Read this and see what you think.

http://www.harringtonproducts.com/7.62x25mm/

10. jhb

jhb New Member

Yep, they are basing this on a misunderstanding of the cz52 and the past myth that czechs built these to handle a never existed back then ultra-hot czech smg load, but even if there was a large batch made both guns could handle it. The facts are the 7.62x25 was always a sub gun load and these two pistols were built to handle it. Another important fact is the cz52 in modern testing has proved the ultra thin chamber is weaker than the brass. it's action is stronger, but the chamber will go before the ultra strong action will matter. the tt33 the action is weaker, but the gun being made of steel can handle the hard impacts from an ultra hot load if one had it. it's chamber is much thicker and stronger and it will handle hotter ammo better.

regardless of what one believes from the internet sources......just look at the ultra thin chamber of the cz52........to work with the rollers.......there is no way the chamber being this thin could handle some ultra hot loads, whether some builds a load this hot or not. There is plenty of data out there to show this and that debunks the myth of original supposed ultra hot czech loads and to debunk the cz52 being built to handle these loads. The tt33 is the stronger design and has been not only battle proven, but testing has been done recently and it faired stronger than the cz52. regardless though both pistols are great, imho and can handle the round.