Rust and corrosion?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pneuby, Jun 22, 2012.

1. pneuby

pneuby New Member

I took a chance on an F, and have had it out twice so far... First NEW pistol I've bought in probably over 6yrs. Anyhow, that's the only lingering question I have. Has anyone experienced any rust?

I can already see faint scratches on the slide merely from contact with the molded plastic bench at the indoor range. I've seen a couple other posts regarding the same tendency for scratches on a local gun owners board. I'm hesitant to try and get after them even with something like Flitz, for fear I might take off some of the black color along with it. Does anyone have input on this? Thanks!

2. ace

ace New Member

I haven't even fired the damn thing yet but it had light scratches on it when I first took it out of the case in the store. I am sure that there would be anyway after even a week of holstering in and out. Cie la vie.

I don't know about rust, though. Got pics?

3. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Yep - let's see some pics. The Plasox finish on the Caracal is still somewhat of a mystery to me. What I have been told is that "it is a plasma-based nitriding with an enclosed postoxidizin surface treatment producing an oxidation protective coating resistant to aggressive environmental conditions."

To which I share the same look of confusion as Wally from Fantastic Mr. Fox:

[​IMG]

I've considered sending out a slide for an NP3 refinishing to see how that fares but haven't had the chance yet.

4. HAPPY PLANET

HAPPY PLANET New Member

I have same issue with my Caracal F. I bought it new and have not had time to try it out yet.

5. Firewire

Firewire New Member

I've also thought about Cerakoting just for some uniqueness. I haven't had any rust or slide issues though. But mine did come with a few thin scratches and the ejection port is developing a distinct line from brass.

6. nutbike4

nutbike4 New Member

I'm using The Caracal F in Thailand, As you know the temperature Thailand is "High-Humidity"
    so my Caracal always got rust when I "use, touch" it and didn't put some oil on the slide
    after use "it's very easy"

After that I send my Caracal to the gun smith to re-finished the slide with "Phosphate"
    because it's more "Rust proof" than the original finished.

Since re-finished it's more than 1 month I didn't put any oil after use for test it
    and the slide is still look pretty good :D

Let's take a look my gun :p :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. pneuby

pneuby New Member

Darn it. I was hoping to not read of any comments as to rust. Thanks for the reality-report Nut. Glad you found the parkerizing a good finish choice. I am just now entering the sweatiest, most humid season in our Phoenix desert. So far, I've just been recoating it with Eezox every few days and haven't seen a hint of any rust. Scratches, sure, just as Firewire posted.

8. doublejack

doublejack New Member

I have abused my competition Caracal, water, mud, holstering multiple times (I shoot IDPA), not a single problem. After much thought I decided to send it for NP3, pictures next week as it is still at Robar. Dying to see it, it should look sexy :)

9. Carp423

Carp423 New Member

Hey DoubleJack. Keep us posted on the NP3. Would love to see pics.

10. pneuby

pneuby New Member

I've not seen any yet, with up to two weeks and not coating the slide. Past the first few scratches, I don't see anymore, either. Every Glocker I let shoot it continues to impress wonder, and damns it with faint praise, LOL.

11. livewire

livewire New Member

12. DCB

DCB New Member

I have used mine in 4 matches. A little Kydex marks on the slide but no rust anywhere.

Peace

13. 8th ID

8th ID New Member

My C is my EDC and my IDPA pistol. Quite a bit of holster wear, but zero rust.

14. apvbguy

apvbguy New Member

I had similar rusting issues with my steyr, they recommended cleaning it more often, thanks!