Remington 870 Express Tactical versus Benelli Supernova Tact

Discussion in '16+' started by shedberg, Feb 10, 2013.

1. shedberg

shedberg New Member

I am looking for a good home defense gun that could also be used if necessary for some hunting but mostly the home defense. All my cop friends like the Remington 870 Express Tactical because that's what they carry on duty I suspect. I have held both and the Benelli is a bit lighter (I am a female so...). I have narrowed my search down to either one and looking for opinions on each. Also the benelli allows for a 3 1/2 inch shells but the remington only up to 3 inch. I have heard the benelli has a bit less recoil and the newer remington's have a propensity to rust. Any thoughts out there?

2. Metal Bird

Metal Bird New Member

Re: Remington 870 Express Tactical versus Benelli Supernova

I dont know that I can help with your questions ... but I can say that my next long gun I intend to purchase will be this Benelli Legacy 28 !!! Light as a feather and handles like a dream! Their Inertia Driven Semi Autos are great. Expensive but well worth its price tag for a lifetime investment in a great bird gun. I hope my wife can find herself to look the other way when i next find a Legacy 28 on sale :)
    For your purposes I would think the Supernova and the Nova Tacts would be great, impervious to any weather conditions and long lasting. Tho I have not actually handled one of those, so take that for what it is worth.

3. jhb

jhb New Member

Re: Remington 870 Express Tactical versus Benelli Supernova

i like benelli when it comes to shotguns. i have a nova myself. not the pistol gripped version though...a standard grip/stock. great gun, worth every penny paid. i also am liking the new cz pump pistol gripped. haven't seen one in the metal yet, but price point looks good and i've never been let down by a cz firearm yet.

that said, i also like the 870. tried and true...but i see talk that older guns were better built than newer ones? i also have seen the talk of rust magnet. can't confirm or deny this as i don't have any comparison of batches. i don't own one myself, but most of my buddies have 870's in various forms and ages, and i've shot them all, and find them to be a quality design at a good price. the iac norinco built copy of the 870, the iac 981 or 982, i think? gets good reviews typically if price point is gonna be the biggest issue. though i hear it's heavier than the 870 express....

if it were me i'd go benelli, i tend to grab my benelli more than my browning bps and even my citori over/under....and i love an over/under over all else....except for the lack of capacity, of course. good luck on the hunt.....