New Walther PPQ 9mm

Discussion in 'Modern Handguns' started by Motorjock721, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Motorjock721

Motorjock721 New Member

Ever since I returned my Caracal F, I have been itching for another pistol. I have really been looking at getting a Steyr M9-A1,,,,,,but I couldnt find one anywhere in the DFW area. I was also looking at the Walther PPQ in 9mm. Once again,,,cant find one anywhere in the area, I checked with alot of Gun stores and they all said they didnt have one and didnt know if/when they would get one in stock,, Academy sports has several PPQ's in 40, but not in 9mm.

I checked with cheaper than dirt in Fort Worth and they had a Steyr M9-A1 (10 round opition). This is late Saturday evening (5:30pm). They would hold it for me till the end of business day. I live too far away to run all the way out there on Saturday. I went there Sunday morning when they opened, and guess what,,,,they didnt have it. Even the guy at the counter was scratching his head on why someone said they had one in stock, when they havent had one in a couple of weeks. Anyway,,,feeling very dissapointed, I asked out of curiosity if they had a Walther PPQ in 9mm......

The guy said, " Sure do its in 9mm and its the only one we have". I snatched it up!!!!

I got a off duty holster and extra mag on the way and plan to shoot/qualify with it Thursday. Cant wait.

2. extremist

extremist New Member

Good snag, the PPQ is a super pistol. Love mine.

Will be shooting it Saturday at Dallas Pistol Club Personal Protection Match.

Regards,
    James

3. Auguste Capone

Auguste Capone New Member

That sucks about the M9-A1. I love mine, in fact that's my primary carry. If you're still in the market for another 9mm, I would recommend keeping an eye out.

4. Parameter

Parameter New Member

Congrats on your new PPQ! 1800+ rounds on mine with no problems. Trigger still sweet. Crazy reset :D. Breeze to clean. Mags are a little $$ but they come up on sale often--buy then. Enjoy! Not to steal the thread, but how do you like your FNS? Why not X version? Been thinking about the 9. Interested in your opinion.

5. Motorjock721

Motorjock721 New Member

I really love my FNS 9, right now, it is my current duty pistol. It has great ergonomics with the changable backstraps, the texture on the grips are spot on, (agressive,w/o ripping your skin off). The night sights are good, the trigger is really awesome. In my opinion,,,its better than a Glock and really close to my PPQ and Ex-Caracal.

I carried a few Sigs last year and I wanted to go back to a striker fired gun, thats the reason I wanted a FNS instead of a FNX. I have been really bad about buying/changing my duty guns the past 2 years. I truly shoot better with a striker fired vs a hammer fired, thats why I went with the FNS, Caracal, now PPQ.

I was very lucky to get one of the new FNS 9's Late last year in the DFW area. They first released to Law Enforcement only. I have heard that FNH will be releasing a "compact" version of the FNS that is about the size of a Glock 26. I think it will be around March 2013. They should have it at the Shot Show. Now , that would be something to look at.

6. Parameter

Parameter New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I will try one out at the range. You are lucky. Many of my LEO friends have fairly restricted choices/options for duty weapons and are left to trying them out on their own or for BUGs (sometimes limited by size as you know). Keep us updated on your PPQ experience!

7. okie67

okie67 Member

The PPQ is an awesome pistol,I sold mine a few months back but plan on getting another next year.Mine had close to 1k rounds and preformed flawlessly,its one of the best striker fired guns on the market.

8. Motorjock721

Motorjock721 New Member

All I can say is ,,,,WOW !!!! What a gun.

Right out of the box, I shot expert on our day/night qualification course. 98-99%, 50 rounds at various different distances from 3 yrds all the way out to 25.

Everything I read about the pistol is right on the money. Great ergonomics and fantastic/smooth trigger.

I just need to look at getting some night sights. As im getting older, its getting a little more challenging to see "perfect" at night. One of our rangemasters has a PPQ and is going to help install some sights when I get them. Im looking at getting the XS big dots.

9. Parameter

Parameter New Member

Cool :!: Be sure to post some pics once installed!

10. clw

clw Junior Member

I need to follow this night sight journey. At 58 my night vision is poor, even a dimly lit indoor range is becoming difficult. Going to try some new supplements that are supposed to help with this. We'll see...