New Utah member - first time shooting my Caracal F - IDPA

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by flashmc, Oct 28, 2012.

1. flashmc

flashmc New Member

Hello everyone,

So I first came across Caracal at ShotShow 2012. They had a huge booth and guns galore. Never having heard of Caracal I didn't give them much thought at first. The guy who talked with us at the booth started talking to us about the quick sights. I immediately was not impressed, as the shortened sight radius made me immediately wonder if it could ever be accurate at any distance past 20 feet. He handed me a C with quick sights and I drew it, sights were immediately aligned perfectly. I tried it maybe 20 more times, always aligned. I was sold. It was also a nice gesture when the guy handed us swag bags with all sorts of stuff in them, very nice folks. I'm still not 100% sure on longer shots, but I do believe the time to target acquisition is quick, and for anything closer than 30 feet I think they are definitely going to work well.

I picked up a Caracal F w/ Quick Sights last Tuesday from CompactFirearms.com, here in Utah. CompactFirearms is small, nice shop and the owner was great to work with. I wanted to shoot it as soon as possible, as I was hoping to shoot it at an IDPA match yesterday. I first needed to find a holster. I ordered a Kydex holster from RKBA Holsters, but that won't be here for a few weeks. I read some posts here about the possibility of using a Glock 21 holster, so I checked holsters out at Sportsman's Warehouse. I did find a Glock 21 holster, but I hated it. The handgun fit, but I did not like the holster at all. I did find an Uncle Mike's Reflex Holster (Size 09), it says it fits an S&W M&P, SD9, SD40. The gun fits perfectly, and is easy to draw.

I didn't get a chance to shoot it at all this past week, but I shot it at the match anyway. It ran perfectly. Everyone thought I was crazy for shooting a brand new gun on the IDPA classifier considering I didn't even know where the point of aim/point of impact was going to be. It performed very well. The mags drop fast, much faster than my Glock. The pistol has such light recoil. I was shooting my reloads through it, 400 rounds, not a single gun related hiccup. I use 147grain XTreme bullets, 3.5grain of TiteGroup, Federal primers, they are 132 power factor rounds.

I will be putting in a fiber optic front sight soon, and I've order some of the grip tape from TractionGrips.com. The triggers measured just over 4#, and is super smooth, I wish the reset was shorter, but that will have to wait. If I could get the trigger to be as good as my modified trigger for my Glock 17, that would be optimal; it has a 3.5# pull, with about an 1/8" reset. The Glock is a Glock 17 RTF2, the only Glock I like, at all.

I am going to start using the Caracal for IDPA and USPSA matches.

Well, I've said enough, glad to be here.

2. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Re: New Utah member - first time shooting my Caracal F - IDP

Welcome to the forum flashmc. Glad your F performed well for you! Keep up the good shooting and reports from your matches :cool:

3. okie67

okie67 Member

Welcome to the forum! Good choice picking the Caracal,all of mine have been perfect so far.Went to the range today and shot around 300 rounds through my F...

4. ddleatherworks

ddleatherworks New Member

Welcome to the forum.

5. Auguste Capone

Auguste Capone New Member

Welcome to the forum. It's good to have another local around. :cool: I too am a fan of Compact Firearms and compactfirearms.com