New to handguns, new to forum

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by Arctic_Knight, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Arctic_Knight

Arctic_Knight New Member

Hello everyone. I am a shotgun enthusiast from North Carolina. I know next to nothing about handguns, except what I have read on the internet over the last week. I am studying up to buy my first couple of handguns in the near future. I have decided to keep my 870 for home defense upstairs, but I wants a hand gun available downstairs.

I stumbled onto the Caracal brand and it is a brand I am considering. I do not plan to carry, just for home defense. If you have any advice for a handgun newbie, I am hear to learn. Even if you suggest a different brand for my purposes, that is fine.

I have shot handguns a few times, but I am basically a total blank slate. I plan on getting some instruction and training so I may eventually have some knowledge to share back with the forum (at least I hope so!)

Thanks,

2. ddleatherworks

ddleatherworks New Member

3. livewire

livewire New Member

Wlcome to the forum sir,

As to your queries my own humble opinioon are

1. As for handguns, good choice about caracal. I suggest get the quick sight version if its for home defense either a caracal c or caracal f with quick sights. I have shot and owned several handguns in my life and i would definitely say none of then beats caracal when it comes to recoil handling and trigger pull. Accuracy for quick sights are very reliable within 10 to 15yards, which is mostly the distance in real life combat situation.

2. As to how to handle a handgun safely and Proper maintenance, stance, grip and shooting position, i suggest go to youtube and search for rob pincus videos. You will get the whole basic idea of a handgun just by watching their video. I presume you dont need anymore training with gun safety since you own a shotgun for sometime now. Check youtube, its the cheapest way to learn without shelling extra dollar for a instructor. Get some actual range time too to improve your skills and accuracy.

Ex. Video of rob pincus http://m.youtube.com/?reload=3&rdm=mc3h ... sWejX_Fvru

4. Arctic_Knight

Arctic_Knight New Member

I will check out the Rob Pincus youtube videos. That is a great idea, thank you!

5. okie67

okie67 Member

Welcome to the forum! :D

6. ormati

ormati New Member

Hey from WNC near Asheville. For me and my wife, youtube is a wonderful resource and learning tool. The only advice I might give is to get a 22 pistol like a Ruger SR22 that is fun and cheap to shoot and train with, and use that as a first step into handgunning. Hope that helps.

7. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Great to have you on the forum Arctic_Knight :cool:

There are MANY great handguns out there. However each has their pros and cons. The key for you is to determine what those are, which pros are most important to you, and which cons you can live with :p

Rest assured, with the proper instruction and experience you can learn to shoot almost any handgun accurately and well. Some may be easier for you to learn on based on your experience and aptitude level. Also, a pistol that you like and fits well in your hand will help aid the process.

I have sold the Caracal to many beginning pistol shooters because it has a lot of great design features. Some have left with a slight concern in the back of their minds (because the pistol is new to the market) and have always commented later that they were glad they went with the Caracal after shooting it.

This doesn't mean that it is the perfect pistol for beginners (remember, that pistol doesn't exist). It just means that I think it is a good choice! No matter what you decide to go with, we welcome you to the forum. Let us know if you have any questions (on any pistols for that matter) and let us know what you ultimately end up purchasing!

8. Arctic_Knight

Arctic_Knight New Member

I am bidding on two on Gunbroker right now. If I can get one there for a great price, that will be fine. If not, I will just buy from the vendor I saw here on the forum.

(If I end up winning both guns that I am bidding on, that would be such a shame! My wife will just have to understand that bidding is an unpredictable, inexact, science! :) ).

9. jhb

jhb New Member

Welcome Sir. I'm biased but I started with the classics...1911, browning hi power, and cz75....well classic to me anyways. Where I like my moderns is for carry use. High capacity and lightweight....gets me reaching for my steyr and glock and cat (prior to recall)...over my all steel pistols. When it comes to range work....I tend to favor the classics. Ymmv, and that's the beauty of choices. I suggest renting two of the best oldies...the 1911 and hi power, and getting comfortable with those. From there its easy to look for newer models and be able to pick what works for you based on improvements over two of the best ever designed, imho. That's what I do..... try out new models and see what they bring to the table over the 1911 and hi power.

10. Auguste Capone

Auguste Capone New Member

It's nice to have you. Welcome to the forum.

11. Arctic_Knight

Arctic_Knight New Member

Well, some "evil" person (just kidding about the "evil") is bidding against me on both pistols. But, we shall see. There is still time for some friendly competitive bidding on the items.

12. HKmanlp1

HKmanlp1 New Member

Good luck. I always seem to get out bid in the final minutes on those things. It made me throw my keyboard so now I avoid the gun auction sites:eek:

13. Arctic_Knight

Arctic_Knight New Member

I agree, I have gone to bed a couple of times, confident that I was winning an item, only to wake up having lost by five dollars or some such thing. One time, on e-bay, I watched an item count down, as the winning bidder, only to get outbid with seven seconds left - very frustrating. I have a love/hate relationship with the bidding sites.

14. Arctic_Knight

Arctic_Knight New Member

I got outbid while I was at work. Time to either post a higher starting bid or buy from a retailer!