New Recall - Model C

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ormati, Feb 28, 2013.

1. ormati

ormati New Member

From Caracal USA website:
    http://www.caracal-usa.com/press/Recall ... -C-Pistol/

Recall Notice - Caracal Model C Pistol
    Feb 27, 2013 4:07:28 PM

Caracal International LLC has been informed about an incident in which the slide of a Caracal Model C pistol malfunctioned and broke during firing causing personal injury. We are thoroughly investigating this incident to determine the cause(s) and are initiating this voluntary recall to protect the safety of our customers.

Caracal aims to conclude its investigations as quickly as possible. Updates will be posted on Caracal’s website to include further information on the limited number of defected Caracal Model C pistols.

Until this investigation is concluded and if you own or have access to a Caracal Model C pistol,
    PLEASE DO NOT LOAD OR FIRE THE CARACAL MODEL C PISTOL.

Customers may choose to wait until more information with respect to the investigation or arrange to have the pistol replaced free of charge, using the following steps:

Step 1: Contact our customer care center nearest you and provide the serial number of your pistol.

For Customers in the United States:
    Contact us directly at 205-655-7050 or info@caracal-usa.com
    For Customers in Europe:
    Contact us directly at +49 (0) 3681 854 257 or info@caracal-germany.de
    For Customers in other countries:
    Contact us directly at customerservice@caracal.ae

If you have sold or transferred your Caracal Model C pistol, please contact us using the above information and provide us with the name and contact information for the person to whom you sold it so that we can notify them of this recall.

2. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 New Member

Guess I need to call again. Never received a box or any other follow up contact. Given this failure of a "C" I'm wondering if I can just get a"F" Model.

3. NevadaBob

NevadaBob New Member

Wow! This will surely slow things down. I guess I'll work on my patience. The Caracal folks have got their hands full with this one.
    Now they'll have to check all the new guns set aside for us "first recallers"! Haven't these guns been around for a couple of years and alot of folks put many a round through them? Then the Pakistan incident happens and seems like were in the middle of a beta test program.

4. Parnell

Parnell New Member

I think this does it for me. They have had my pistol since November for replacement and I still don't have it. I guess I'll call and ask for my money instead. Two recalls is two too many.

5. jripper1

jripper1 New Member

That still looks like an ammo issue to me. When a gun blows up, it's usually an ammo issue. Pretty strange for something to give way immediately from a flaw. Squibs with a round fired behind it blows up more guns than anything else. I love the Caracals, I've got an F and a C. Bought the C knowing there was a slow recall process on them. I'm going to continue to shoot and use my Caracal. Based on the pictures it's just not enough information to scare me off. I need to know what happened to the first round the person shot. Did it leave the barrel? Was there a hole or reaction to the target? And what does the other side of the barrel look like? And why didn't anyone pick the gun part up until the next day? The orginal post says that someone from the farm told him it split in half, but then it was not picked up until the next day? That really doesn't make sense. More information needed. The slides appear to be milled steel, not cast. Can someone tell me for sure on that point?

I'll wait for all fact to come thru before bailing on the gun.

6. jhb

jhb New Member

^ all good questions and good points about the other side of the barrel, etc. caracal seems to think, without saying so, it wasn't ammo....at least at this point.

i seriously doubt they would issue a recall in Pakistan and America if it was just an ammo caused issue, but weirder things have happened. seems, and this is just speculation, there maybe a design flaw in the "c" slide thickness or metallurgy, or shape. i'm guessing cause they didn't issue a recall for the f models. course i don't have the expertise nor the equipment to know for sure....but with what has been said from both sides, i am leaning this way.....but we shall see when caracal engineering does their analysis of the problem.

what i do know is caracal has been posting on the pakguns site and they have never said they doubted the original poster's, who's gun broke, story. the importer of caracals into pakistan had some doubts early on, but he seems to believe the story as far as i can tell, now. course i can't speak for the man...maybe better said this is my interpretation.

7. lotsagas4u

lotsagas4u New Member

WOW, what about all the new guns just arriving, are all the C models bad? This is getting crazier by the day. I have a WW c model that it is a fantastic shooter. Not sure as what to do now. :?:

8. Arizona Gunner

Arizona Gunner New Member

This has gotten beyond ridiculous. I had a F-QS and a C, sent them in for refund, and got my check last week... and I am soooo glad!

These things have turned into the handgun equivalent of the Yugo, if anyone around still remembers the brief period they were on the road.

Why on earth fool with them when the PPQ, and other possibilities, are out there? I don't get it.

9. jripper1

jripper1 New Member

From Carcal's website "Caracal International LLC has been informed about an incident in which the slide of a Caracal Model C pistol malfunctioned and broke during firing causing personal injury. We are thoroughly investigating this incident to determine the cause(s) and are initiating this voluntary recall to protect the safety of our customers.

Caracal aims to conclude its investigations as quickly as possible. Updates will be posted on Caracal’s website to include further information on the limited number of defected Caracal Model C pistols.

Until this investigation is concluded and if you own or have access to a Caracal Model C pistol,
    PLEASE DO NOT LOAD OR FIRE THE CARACAL MODEL C PISTOL."

I emphasize Voluntary Recall, and investigating to determine cause.

The first recall states that there were frame tolerance issues. I don't think they have decided what caused this at this time, but are playing it better safe than sorry.

They are recalling the pistols without knowing for sure what went wrong. It says so right in their recall notice.

I'm very skeptical and still not convinced that someone did something wrong to cause the gun to "blow up" and not the gun itself falling apart, altough I realize that there are flaws in manufacturing proccesses and metalurgy.

Only time will tell for sure. At this point, I've got other guns and I'm willing to wait and see.

10. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

-sigh- :roll:

If every pistol manufacturer "recalled" their guns like this when a gun had a catastrophic failure (most likely due to ammunition), I wouldn't have any guns! Amazing.

This has happened to countless Glocks, XD's, and even expensive well built Five-seveN's - no general recalls there.

These guys are really scared of a lawsuit. Don't know if we'll ever see anymore Caracals. Sad.

11. jripper1

jripper1 New Member

I do agree that this is a bit extreme if it is a ammo issue. And at this point we don't know for sure. I think they are extremely lawsuit scared. I would just like to see an exact reason for the slide failure/recall.

12. clw

clw Junior Member

You are a dealer, do you still own any Caracals personally?

13. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Yep - sure do. I personally own Two F QS and Two C QS pistols. One of the C pistols is in my regular carry rotation and has thousands of rounds through it. It was one of the first of 60 QS pistols imported into the States and I have been shooting it for over two years now.

14. pneuby

pneuby New Member

Can someone link to this latest inicident? PakGuns?

15. N.M.Edmands

N.M.Edmands New Member

16. lotsagas4u

lotsagas4u New Member

Check arrived today, 3 weeks, after I sent my C in for refund. Fast service I suppose.

17. Series80

Series80 New Member

I dont buy it ! Its ammo related , like the fools who like to load hot , taurus has plenty of guns blow up , all state hot loads not excepted , and the people who turn them in will tell you they didnt use hot loads , but we know better , the residue doesnt lie!

18. jhb

jhb New Member

Except caracal did their own testing on the slide and determined there was a batch of heat treated slides that were done wrong. I would think caracals wouldn't say they had a bad batch if they didn't.