New member new Caracal F owner question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Carp423, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Carp423

Carp423 New Member

My first handgun purchase was my Caracal F QS. My wife and I are in the process of getting carry permits. She purchased a .380 to carry but really likes the QS on the F. My question or topix is: as we have shopped in many different shops I have mentioned the Caracal to the gun store owners. They say they have never heard of them. I mention the designer and the tests they have passed and they just stand behind the counter and listen. Then they start bashing them saying they have heard alot of bad things about them. 2 minutes before they had never heard of them. Are gun owners that in love with certain brands. I think the Caracal people have did their homework and have came up with a good design. My wife purchased a Bersa thunder .380 plus and it is not the gun the retailer nor the internet sites claim it to be. I know people say buy USA etc. But I looked at all the guns between $250 - $600 range. I did internet research and drove miles just to handle certain ones and tear them down. I did my homework. Remember first time gun buyer here. I picked the Caracal and feel as if I am getting bashed for doing so. I purchased a Ruger SR22 to helped us cheaply learned to shoot better. We like the Ruger .22 but I did not care for the Ruger 9mm I shot. I have not been shooting handguns for very long but with the Caracal F QS others at different ranges we visted have commented on my shooting ability. I tell them it's the Caracal gun. I guess from now on I will let the gun do the talking. 850 rounds no FTF nor anything.

2. N.M.Edmands

N.M.Edmands New Member

Every major change in manufacture has this attitude at first. When Glocks first hit the US markets,we were told we were idiots and would be sorry. :roll: :D
    When you hear this crap just smile, out shoot them, and tell them you can carry it through an X-ray or metal detector. :D
    The HS2000 was an imported piece of junk,but a Springfield XD-----------nuff said.

3. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy New Member

I bet if that gun shop guy had a Caracal on his shelf he'd tell you it was awesome. Your experience is what matters; you made the right call with the Caracal. I have tons of guns to choose from and I frequently choose my Caracals...

4. Carp423

Carp423 New Member

Thanks for the input. I am also finding the Caracal is shooting a brand of ammo call Independence very well. As I have ran 850 rounds through it from Winchester, CCI, Remington, Federal and some german steel case the Independance brand is the cheapest at $12 for 50. It is more consistant as far as shot pattern to me than the others I have shot. I am finding you need to stick to one brand because they shoot different. If cheap is good then Life is good.

5. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Welcome to the forum Carp.

One thing I have found is that most of the guys behind a gun counter really don't know that much about guns. I never really did understand this phenomena. They somehow figure their limited experience with the one gun that they do own makes them an expert in the field. Fact is, you are probably more of an expert now than most gun counter guys based on the research you have done. ;)

As always, the best opinion that you can get on the quality and features of a firearm is... your own!

I recently participated in a professional pistol training course and I received several raised eyebrows at my decision to shoot one of my Caracal C QS pistols on one of the days. They were concerned about the size of the pistol, barrel, and especially the size of the short sight radius. In hind sight, the day was all slow fire marksmanship and if I really wanted to excel I should have brought one of my Hi-Power or 1911 pistols with their exceptionally light and crisp single action triggers. But at the end of the day, even with my tiny little Caracal C QS, I put together a decent group. :cool:

[​IMG]

Not bad considering the pistol is designed more for defense and speed!

6. Carp423

Carp423 New Member

Nice shooting Predecessor. My wife shoots tighter groups with the Caracal than our Ruger SR22. I think it is the trigger. She tends to pull left and down with other guns. Your grouping is a thing of beauty in the gun world.

7. e_l_q

e_l_q New Member

Nice grouping!

8. Auguste Capone

Auguste Capone New Member

That reminds me that I haven't been in to visit my local shop in a while. ;)

If only there was a local expert such as yourself near me that I could arrange some range time with and get some pointers. :cool:

9. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

I am FAR from an expert but I am local and am always looking for a good excuse for some extra range time :geek:

10. N.M.Edmands

N.M.Edmands New Member

Hey "P", on the firing pin housing is a boss centered at the location of the rear sight insert. If you drill for an insert or just accurately paint it, you can increase sight radius for an improved longer range performance. Dot on dot thru the window, not perfect but better.
    On another note: Does anyone else find the reflection in the firing pin depression aggravating? :roll:

11. Auguste Capone

Auguste Capone New Member

Judging by that grouping, I'd say I could learn something. I'll swing by the shop and we'll set a time. :D

12. Carp423

Carp423 New Member

Hey N. M. I have not notice a reflection. Will check out the long shot dot thing. Thanks.

13. N.M.Edmands

N.M.Edmands New Member

It may be just because of my aging eyes but the recess on the back of the slide seem to distract my eyes from the blurry rear dot above. I have tried to flatten the surface finish in there and it helps, but in bright sunlight it still seems to wash out my focus. :(

14. Carp423

Carp423 New Member

I checked for reflection and found I do not have the blurry rear sights. I have the QS, Quick Sights model with the rear sights more forward. I went with this for one of the reasons you mentioned ; old eyes. No reflection.