New Caracal C

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sharp, Feb 15, 2012.

1. sharp

sharp New Member

Greetings. I just discovered Caracal a week or two ago and after doing a little online research, I decided I was going to need to try one.
    So I ordered a Caracal C last Friday, picked it up yesterday, and shot 100 rounds WWB through it today!
    My first impression upon picking it up yesterday was that it was just a little bit bulkier than I expected...maybe just a tad thicker than a G19, but about the same length and height. It felt pretty good in my hand. I was suprised that it did not have small, md, and lg back straps, but like I said, it felt good in my hands.
    It performed admireably under fire. I was able to shoot it fast and accurately with no problems or malfundrions at all. All in all, I was pretty impressed, and think she's a keeper!

2. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Hey sharp - congrats on the new Caracal C! Glad she performed well for ya. When you say bulkier or thicker, do you mean wider? Interesting how different things can feel to different people. For me the Caracal feels quite a bit slimmer than the Glock. And technically speaking... it is :p Caracal C is 28mm wide and the Glock 19 is 30mm wide ;)

Now that you've put a few rounds down range, what are your initial impressions on the Caracal trigger?

3. sharp

sharp New Member

Hi Predecessor. To me it looked wider when compared to my G23 when I held them side by side. It may not be, but it looks like it to my eyes. Also in my side by side comparison, the Caracal is a little shorter in height and length than the Glock. Having said that it feels good in my hand. A little better than the Glock (I like Glocks!)
    The trigger was nice. I'll give a better report after I've shot it more. Yesterday's session was pretty rushed because it was snowing and I was cold! I will say this....I also recently picked up a new PPQ in 9mm and while the Caracal's trigger was good (better than Glock or at least lighter) the PPQ trigger is quite a bit better IMO. I need to shoot them both side by side so I can better explain the differences, but I think the PPQ reset is shorter and more "definite" than the Caracal.

4. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

I hear ya - the more I've gotten into the shooting sports the less I like winter. I much prefer shooting in sunshine and on dry land!

Looking forward to more of your experience on the Caracal vs. PPQ. I've been meaning to pick up a PPQ and get some meaningful time on the range with one. It definitely has a lighter/shorter/crisper trigger than the Caracal but I'm interested in seeing how that, combined with the ergos of the gun, translates at speed. I used to shoot a Walther P99 AS which I really enjoyed. Built well, fit the hand beautifully, and I shot it very well slow fire. But for some reason I didn't shoot it at speed as well as I wanted. Like it's predecessor, the PPQ feels great in the hand but I'm not sure it points as well as the Caracal does for me and I really take to the lower bore axis when it comes to pistol management. Also, I wish Walther would offer dark rear serrations or a straight 8 option instead of 3 dot sights.

Regardless, I'm anxious to compare the two pistols against each other myself because I think these two represent the best in their class right now. Looking forward to more observations from you and interested to hear which you like best after the dust settles!

5. sharp

sharp New Member

Much nicer day today and I was out and about and pulled off the highway to one of "my" shooting spots. I had another 100 rounds with me to burn, and I had both the Caracal and the PPQ with me. I loaded 10 rounds at a time per magazine and alternated between pistols. I have to say, I really like them both! If I had to choose one for pure shootability, I'd probably go with the Walther.....that's not a slight to the Caracal, the PPQ is THAT good. It feels more ergonomic in the hand and seems to come up on target more naturally to me. I definitely like the PPQ sights better, but then again I'm not used to a straight eight configuration so it might become more natural to me with practice. I also give a slight edge to the trigger on the PPQ, but not by much. It is a little more crisp with a slightly shorter and more distinct reset. They are both soft shooting 9mm pistols, I was unable to distinguish if one or the other had more or less felt recoil. I was able to shoot both quite accurately. I was not punching holes in paper so I can't tell you group sizes but I was knocking gatorade bottles and pop cans all over the place :D with both guns. Follow up shots are fast with both, but a slight edge to the Walther, because of the sights and shorter reset on the trigger. All in all I'm very happy with both of these new acquisitions and look forward to more range time with both. I am interested in the future to see if there will be other rear sight options for the Caracal C.

6. Firewire

Firewire New Member

Thank you very much for the follow up!

7. okie67

okie67 Member

I like both my Caracal and PPQ kinda hard to choose which is best.Doubt I ever sell them,Im having too much fun shooting both!