New C range report and the subsequent problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doc, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Doc

Doc New Member

... and hopefully resolution.

Went straight from my dealer to the range today to get at least a few rounds through my new Caracal C (traded in a Beretta PX4 SC). First off, as a Steyr M9 owner, I had high expectations for this pistol. I wasn't disappointed. The trigger everyone has raved about is TRUE, and holy moly is it true. Crisp, predictable, and beautiful reset. I had guys at two different places (the shop where I bought it and the shop at the range) try it, and I have a feeling both of them will be making a similar purchase soon ;) . Shooting this gun felt right, the kind of right that you feel when sinking into a soft, pillowy chair, made comfortable after decades of use (but sturdier).

It was accurate, more accurate than I am. First group of 5 at 13 yards was tight... but then something happened. The next group was just as tight... only about 4-5 inches to the left. I was a little confused at this point. I have the straight-8 sights, and I know I was sighting properly, but was I pulling? Was it me? Perhaps I was just rusty after being away from the range for a few months. I pulled the gun in to examine if the front sight was properly lined up. What I saw truly surprised me...

I turned the pistol over and it SLID! It actually moved around without much effort. I could take it in my fingers and slide it right out with ease. At least I knew I wasn't doing something funky with my form.

Well, I paid for my ammo and I paid for my range time, so I figured I may as well just use it while I can. I lined up the posts as well as I could and decided to push the target back a bit. Somehow I still managed to hit with the remaining of the 50 rounds (Sellier & Bellot 124gr - no failures of any kind). It wasn't the prettiest I've shot, but it still felt right.

I do see what people mean about trying to use the slide catch to put a round into battery, though. I attempted it once and decided that slingshotting with the Caracal is just easier (queue discussion on proper technique... :cool: ).

What I ended up doing was taking the pistol back to the shop where I purchased it. Their armorer was kind enough to glue the front sight down (it will be setting overnight) and then proceeded to also order another sight from their distributor (they even offered me coffee while I waited - great guys). I suppose for now, the plan will be to shoot it with the current sight and see how it holds up and hold onto the other one as a backup. I will most likely end up having it installed if I decide to carry this. I'd rather not suddenly need the pistol and realize at the worst possible moment that even though I'm aiming at the bad guy, I'm shooting at the folks behind him.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else encountered this issue? I was somewhat shocked when it happened, but I still love this gun. I was also surprised to see it had Waffen Werks trademarks. Go figure.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I am also planning to purchase BT's guide rod. I have one (and his delron cups) for the Steyr. It's good stuff.

2. e_l_q

e_l_q New Member

I'm sorry to hear your story Doc.

for a brand new pistol, it's very disappointing indeed. The front sight of my C is very sturdy

3. Firewire

Firewire New Member

Sorry to hear it too. No problems here. I hope the slide wasn't cut too big and it is in fact the sight is too small.

4. Doc

Doc New Member

I hope so as well. That is the worst case scenario, but hopefully I could have it replaced. We'll find out when the new sight comes in.

5. N.M.Edmands

N.M.Edmands New Member

I've had rear sights loose in the dovetail but not fronts. If the Loctite/glue doesn't hold, you can drill a small hole either side in the base and tap for small setscrews. I've done it on guns when the dovetail was cut to large.
    Also some H&K USP's have a front that is a little wider [front to rear], and you could file the sight to fit. Hopefully the parts distribution will be set up soon for Caracal.
    HTH

6. Fight or Flight

Fight or Flight New Member

No issues with the sights on my samples.

7. Doc

Doc New Member

Yeah, didn't see this as an issue with any other Caracals so far... I guess I just got lucky. It's just one of those things.

Still love the gun. I hope it gets more exposure.

If these sights don't work out, I'll check out the USP sights and see if they work.

8. okie67

okie67 Member

That sucks I hate when sights move around hopefully you can get the problem fixed.
    On another subject matter my Sig 556 had the rear sight completely frag,the detent button and all springs fell apart,had to return all the parts in a bag back to Midwest Industry's.
    Sometimes sights are a pain..

9. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Yes. Had a customer who took a C QS through a police academy and the front sight became loose during her qualification training. She brought it back into the shop; I put some loctite on and set the sight and I havn't heard from her since :)

10. rsh2k1

rsh2k1 New Member

I had the exact same problem. Had a gunsmith look at it and put loctite on the sight. I still think it's a bit offline as I shoot the Caracal almost always to the right (1" or so at 7yds) whereas every other gun I've ever shot goes 1-2" to the left. Yeah, I know, I should just get better :)

But the sight completely slid off my slide after a couple of range trips. I'd care more, but I'm waiting for an aftermarket solution either for night sights or fiber optic, so didn't really sweat it that much.

The problem does exist, however.