Kahr T9

Discussion in 'Modern Handguns' started by jaybee, Jul 13, 2012.

1. jaybee

jaybee New Member

Just picked this up. The "T" in T9 stands for target on this model... Supposedly they only make about 100 per year of these. That might explain why it has taken me so long to bump into one... This one has the target MMC sights and is just a good looking gun. Very light for a steel framed gun, thanks to its very narrow width. It has a walther made 4" polygonal rifled barrel, amazing balance, and a smooth trigger (in the fashion of a very good K frame revolver). Can't wait to shoot it tomorrow!

Caliber: 9mm
    Capacity: 8+1
    Operation: Trigger cocking DAO; lock breech; "Browning - type" recoil lug; passive striker block; no magazine disconnect
    Barrel: 3.965", polygonal rifling; 1-10 right-hand twist
    Length O/A: 6.5"
    Height: 4.95"
    Slide Width: .90"
    Weight: Pistol 26.0 ounces, Magazine 2.1 ounces
    Grips: Checkered Hogue PAU FERRO wood grips
    Sights: Drift and elevation adjustable MMC target sghts
    Finish: Matte stainless steel
    Magazines: 2 - 8 rd, Stainless

2. jaybee

jaybee New Member

Caracal size comparison... Dimensions are similar but they are worlds apart in feel.

3. okie67

okie67 Member

Nice looking Kahr,I really like those grips too.

4. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

It is a nice looking gun, but "Kahr" and "Target Pistol" aren't typically words I associate together :p - Curious to know what you think of it and it's DAO trigger in that regard. But nothing cooler than having a rare pistol to try out. Enjoy!

5. HKmanlp1

HKmanlp1 New Member

This one has always been on my short list. Its a great looking pistol. I think they make more than 100 of these a yr though. My local gun store has 3 of em.

6. jaybee

jaybee New Member

Here are my first impressions of the Kahr T9, had a busy range day so only got to fire 3-4 mags...

*Soft shooting, super soft shooting. Very nice controllability. Fun to shoot.

*The DAO is long but is super smooth, I do not mind it at all. It is not a heavy trigger, just a different trigger. I need more trigger time...

*Grips feel great, nicely checkered and contoured

*Dang this gun is small. I have average to above average hands. The grip feels less crowded in a thumbs high isometric hold which also does a good job of keeping the gun near rock steady when pulling the long smooth trigger. Figured this out toward the end...

*Sights/Accuracy- Sights are easy to see, the white dots are huge combat sized things... I needed a tiny allen wrench to adjust elevation, but couldn't find it in my range bag until I got home*...In addition to the gun shooting about 4" above POA I found myself hitting an inch left, then an inch right and so on... At least my errors where consistent. Seems I'll sort this out by working on grip and getting more trigger time. It seems to be about as capable as any other medium size 9mm pistol but some people make claims of remarkable accuracy with these guns... We'll see what happens with more shooting. My last group using the grip described above was on the high side of 3" at 7 yards, I get the sense that I'll have to work hard to shoot it better than that... *The MMC rear sight elevation adjustments turned out to be superb. With each click, the sight moves precisely and with ease. The sight is also protected from damage by very nice guards on either side..*

The only dislike I have is the magazine. Sharp edged, softish plastic follower, overly flexible mag lips. It performs fine but is not up to the level of the rest of the gun. I'll be looking into getting better magazines.

The previous owner also owns one in 40 s&w (T40) and claims only 100 rounds fired through the T9 I bought. The wear inside seems to bear this out. Nothing not to like about it from what I can see. The PO also mentioned he was on a wait list for six months to get it. Lucky me. :)

7. jaybee

jaybee New Member

Well folks, the T9 can shoot. It takes a LOT of concentration to shoot well though... This is an offhand 7 yard target, the 5 shot group is 1" and I don't feel too bad about the two fliers... This gun can shoot well, but the long trigger requires a ton of focus to get good results... I really love the feel of it in the hand. I will be getting a flat magazine floor plate and a holster or two and shooting this one a lot.