Grip Angle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gary1911A1, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 New Member

I have a Caracal Compact waiting for me back with my dealer in Ohio so I haven't had a chance to handle it yet. I ordered it based on the various reviews and a friend's recommendation. My question is how is the grip angle on the Caracals, is it more Glock, Sig or 1911 like? Thanks.

2. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Good question Gary -- and the answer will probably vary quite a bit based on personal perception and definition of grip angle. For instance, the angle of the grip on the Glock isn't what gets at me as much as the combination of the angle and the tilt. Naturally, I have to tilt the Glock down after I bring it up to point. I have to make adjustments on every pistol I shoot of course because they are all different but the tilt on the Glock has always bothered me. Now, as to describing the grip on the Caracal - from my reference point, it holds and points similar to an H&K P7 up top (so it does not require a tilt like the Glock - yeah!) and on the bottom is has the shape, feel, and angle of a 1911 with an arched main-spring housing.

That's how it feels to me anyway :cool:

3. Firewire

Firewire New Member

Based on this article: http://www.pskm.be/pistolsighting.pdf

Is the Caracal a Center mass, 6 o'clock, or sub-6 sight? Does the Straight 8 vs QS change the type?

I've only had the opportunity to put 85 rounds through mine and it was mixed with a rifle and the distance wasn't optimum for any real accuracy testing. I was just trying to blow trough the rounds to check reliability.

4. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Interesting article Firewire. I don't ever use a 6 o'clock or sub 6 sight picture on any of my firearms. And technically speaking, I don't even use the Center Mass picture (as described in the article) or all of my shots would be low. For me, if I do everything correctly on my end, the bullet will go directly behind the center of my front sight - not directly above it. Maybe I'm crazy but that is how all of my factory set sights are positioned and that is how every custom sight I have had installed behaves.

5. stmcelroy

stmcelroy New Member

I shot my Glock 17 and Caracal F back to back and they point dang near identical for me.

6. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 New Member

Thanks for the response. As you can tell from my online name I'm a fan of the 1911. I also have a P7 that I like a lot due to the bore axis and trigger. I'm not wild about the grip angle of the Glock either. The 19 is the only one that feels OK to me. Don't care for the "hump" at the bottom of the 17 grip.

7. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Well - it will be interesting to see what you think of it when you pick it up! Either you will agree with me or think I'm crazy. I suppose either would be correct! :lol:

8. okie67

okie67 Member

I held both my Caracal C and Steyr M40 tonight both are very similar except the sight setup.They both hold about the same if comparing the two.My G26 is a different grip all together even with the pierce grip extension.
    To me the Caracal is way different than Glock and more close to the grip angle of a Steyr M series and maybe 1911"ish.