Front sight interchangability?

Discussion in 'Accessories & Gear' started by mig1nc, Feb 12, 2012.

1. mig1nc

mig1nc New Member

I posted the same question over on the Steyr forum, but was wondering if anybody has installed XD or Sig front sights on their Caracal?

There is a post on THIS forum where somebody says that XD/Sig front sight dovetail is the same as the Caracal.

But there is a post on the OTHER forum where somebody posts that the current generation of Caracals have a 5mm front sight dovetail and that the Sigs have a 5.1mm front sight dovetail, and that it wont work without widening the dovetail or trimming the sight (they also comment that future Caracals WILL have Sig/XD dovetails).

Which is true? Has anybody installed new front sights onto their Caracal?

2. ddleatherworks

ddleatherworks New Member

I have'nt heard of anyone who has used Sig or XD sights on the Caracal. I remember reading the same post here awhile back. I have a couple of Sig front sights but I have'nt tried them on mine. They look like they have a wider dovetail than the Waffen Werks stamped Caracals. I do remember one of the selling points on the HS2000 (now the XD) when Intrac first started importing them years ago was that they would accept Sig sights. I would be nice if the Caracals were the same way.

3. mig1nc

mig1nc New Member

Indeed. It would be nice honestly if the gun industry would take some hints from the IT business world and come up with some standards.

How awesome would it be if everybody used the same front sight mounting system?

It seems about the only universal mounting standard out there is the picatinny rail system... And .22 dovetails.

4. stmcelroy

stmcelroy New Member

Measuring off of a XD blue gun the dovetail looks to be identical. I'm going to order a sight soon to try.

5. ddleatherworks

ddleatherworks New Member

Before you order a sight let me know. I have some old P225,P226,P228 take off sights just sitting back here you can have. They're not anything you would want to leave on there, but you could see if they will work before buying a new set to try.

6. mig1nc

mig1nc New Member

Man, you guys rock.

Let us know how it goes.

7. Andy_ita

Andy_ita New Member

Tanfoglio here in italy have original sights and it should have fiber optic front sights. Im looking to have one for me.

8. apvbguy

apvbguy New Member

if you come across any fiber optic front sights please alert us

9. mig1nc

mig1nc New Member

I posted this in other forum, but if it turns out to be true that the Caracal does have a 5.0mm dovetail you should be able to install Sig and XD sights by simply sanding or filing down 0.1mm on the sight.