FN FNX9 Review

Discussion in 'Modern Handguns' started by plouffedaddy, Jul 5, 2012.

1. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy New Member

[​IMG]

I've liked FN firearms since I was in basic training and first got the opportunity to get behind what may be my favorite gun of all time––-the M240B. Unfortunately, I can't have one of those in my personal collection so I've been collecting their handguns, rifles, and shotguns ever since. FNH makes great military and civilian firearms and I haven't been disappointed in any of them thus far.

The FNX line of pistols are decedents from the Browning PRO guns. Sales of the Browning Pro were disappointing so FN rebranded the pistols the FNH FNP and sold them under the FN name. Sales still were lower than expected so they 'improved' upon the original design and released the FNX (more on that in the video).

FNX9 Pros:

-Accuracy (in SA mode, this gun is extremely easy to shoot accurately)
    -Reliability (I've never had a malfunction of any kind with this firearm)
    -Durability (cold hammer forged barrel, stainless slide, ect...)
    -MIL-STD 1913 rail for lights and accessories
    -Ambidextrous controls
    -Comes with 3 magazines
    -4 interchangeable backstraps
    -Aftermarket support (holsters, parts, ect...) are availible
    -Safety acts as a decocker as well
    -US made

FNX9 Cons:

-The position/size of the safety/decocker rubs my thumb (and the thumb of others that have tried it) when firing high round counts
    -Mag lockup is suspect. I've never had an issue with it but it doesn't inspire confidence either

Here's a video with some shooting, table top review with disassembly/assembly and size comparison with other popular pistols, and some chronograph testing.

FNX Review Video

Chronograph Tests:
    Hornady 147gr TAP JHP: 985 fps, 317 ft/lbs energy
    Federal HST 124gr JHP: 1102 fps, 334 ft/lbs energy
    Federal HST 124gr +p JHP: 1127 fps, 350 ft/lbs energy
    Winchester Ranger 115gr JHP: 1100 fps, 309 ft/lbs energy
    Remington UMC 115gr JHP: 1113 fps, 316 ft/lbs energy

2. HKmanlp1

HKmanlp1 New Member

You forgot to mention the best part of this pistol. It has the ability to be carried cocked and locked like a 1911. I dabbled with the FN series with the FNX and FNP 45 tac. I love pistols that have the ability to be carried cocked and locked. Thus all my HK's But I sold the FN's soon after. I don't know maybe I am spoiled with all the HK's I have but the the fit finish and detail just wasn't there for me. I have nothing bad to say about their reliability and price point.

3. jaybee

jaybee New Member

A good looking gun, lust inspiring even. :D

4. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy New Member

It's in the video :mrgreen:

5. okie67

okie67 Member

I sure enjoy your videos and reviews! Good job.. :p

6. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Not sure if the FNX is the answer FN is looking for as many still prefer the ergonomics of the FNP (including myself). Mags between the models do not interchange :evil:

I think FN could boost sales considerably on both the FNX and FNS pistols if they would introduce a carbine that used the same mags. But I am gunshy on this series because what is to stop them from making an FNZ model next year that has minor design changes and introduces yet another magazine type?

7. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy New Member

I do as well. The two 'cons' I listed above are absent in the FNP lineup (9mm & 40 anyway).

[​IMG]

8. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

What's this? A rare FNP-9M plouffedaddy? If that is a DA/SA (and not the surplus military DAO) than I would say I was jealous. But I'm not 'cause I still own mine :twisted:

Another fine gun in your collection. I keep liking you more and more :cool:

9. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy New Member

Oh yes, I'm never getting rid of it either! IMO, it should have been the standard model from the start. It's BY FAR my favorite DA/SA gun I've ever shot (I've shot/owned almost all of the big names from $300-2000 guns, this one is my favorite FWIW).

Funny story about how I got it.... I was in the FN factory inspecting the M240 Light production and talking with one of the reps there about when they were going to release their long rumored 'FNX compact' that has been rumored FOREVER. She was like, 'we've still got some FNP M models around that no one has ever bought.' I couldn't say "I'll take it!" fast enough. Should have bought a few looking back on it! Factory night sights too...

10. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Ok, now I'm almost jealous. But I changed out the factory sights on mine with factory tritium sights from a standard FNP :lol:

That is an awesome purchase story btw. Of that experience I am jealous. How long ago was this? Don't suppose they have any more and you could provide me with the contact info of that very nice gal at FN-USA? ;)