First thoughts on Caracal C

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Predecessor, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

So I've only been able to put about 100 rounds though a Caracal C thus far. I was very pleased with how it performed. Immediately I prefer it to the Glock and XD - for it seems to have the qualities I like in each minus the things I don't like in each. The Caracal is light and simply designed like the Glock (only 28 parts to the 35 of the Glock) and thankfully sans the odd grip angle; it includes a cocked and loaded chamber indicator along with ambidextrous mag releases like the XD, but without the extra weight and over-complication (grip safety :roll:) of design. I like the high bore axis and personally am a fan of straight eight sights when shooting at speed. Not a bad stock trigger either. It's been awhile since I've shot a Steyr M9-A1 so I'm interested in shooting that again in comparison.

Looking forward to putting more rounds down range when the fiber optic front sight slides arrive!

Caracal owners: tell us your thoughts on the pistol...

2. tntlehi

tntlehi New Member

I have about 1000 rounds through my model C. I seem to have a tighter grouping with the Caracal vs Walther P99AS. The compact Caracal shoots a lot like my full size 90-Two. Don't know why. Think I need a model F now for something I can shoot and shoot....

3. KevlarSix

KevlarSix New Member

While shooting the Caracal C, a spent cartridge landed on my head. Any of you experienced this?

4. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

I haven't experienced this. I've shot two different Caracal C's so far and haven't had any problems with either. (I have had my Colt Night Defender do this on occasion with a particular type of ammunition that I now just simply avoid using.)

Today I decided to shoot three different pistols to compare: Glock 19 (G3); Steyr S9-A1; Caracal C

The Glock was fine. It does what a Glock is supposed to do which is shoot. I realize it's at the top of a lot of folks lists and while I can respect that, the large majority of Glock shooters that I come across do not have much experience shooting other pistols. While I can make the Glock do what I want it to do, it's not nearly as intuitive as I'd like. I have to adjust the grip angle and the trigger just doesn't compare to many other pistols that I prefer. But it works and it is the baseline for which to compare other striker fired pistols of similar ilk...

The Steyr is definitely a well made pistol. It's a solid build but unfortunately heavier than other pistols in it's class. The trigger is a marked improvement over the Glock IMO as are the ergonomics. An objective person would have a hard time arguing these points. And yet, I wanted to shoot it better than I did. I think the two main things that kept me from shooting as fast and accurate as I desired to were the grip angle (similar to the Glock) and the trapezoidal sights. Each time I went to a new target I found myself taking more time than I wanted to re-acquire the sights.

Of the three pistols, I can honestly say that I shot the Caracal C with greater efficiency and accuracy at speed. Upon dry-firing, I give the trigger edge to the Steyr. But when rounds started flying, I found the trigger on the Caracal to be surprisingly more consistent for me. Ergonomically, the Steyr feels better in the hand, but once again, when shooting multiple targets at speed, the Caracal balanced well and sat firm in the grip. Felt recoil seemed the easiest to control on the Caracal and I prefer the more traditional grip angle as well. Reacquiring the sights on multiple targets was easier for me, but I already have a straight 8 or Heine QWIK rear configuration on several of my other pistols that I prefer when shooting at speed so I knew this would lean me towards favoring the stock Caracal sights more.

So there you have it - no offense to Steyr or Glock aficionados but the Caracal won today's contest for me by a surprising margin.

5. naknang

naknang New Member

i have an STI GP6 and it is the smoothest trigger and very accurate gun that i ever shoot.

and when i tried caracal, the accuracy is comparable to my STI GP6.

That is why i immediately bought one. i haven't had a chance to shoot it in IPSC or IDPA game but i believe that it will live up to its expectation.

I am still scouting for a speed rig here in the philippines. once i got it, IPSC shoot immediately.

6. KevlarSix

KevlarSix New Member

I have contacted Ghost Holster International.

For Philippines, they recommended that I contact:

Weerasak Termrungruanglert
    Thailand
    Tel. 02 2219469
    bermipsc@gmail.com

7. naknang

naknang New Member

thanks bro ;)

8. kookie

kookie New Member

I have fired 200 rounds with my Caracal F without any hitch and I can remember on 2 occasions that a spent cartridge landed to the right side of my head. I always wear a cap when firing so it didn't bother me. Is this a big deal? No, I don't really think so. The Caracal F is fun to shoot, fairly accurate, very little recoil and it fits my large hands. I am looking forward to shoot 300 hundred more rounds. Hopefully I will get used to its long trigger pull and reset. BTW can I use this in a competition? This is my fist polymer pistol. Thanks in advance.

9. KevlarSix

KevlarSix New Member

Yes you can.

I was planning to join as well but since I had my slide hard chromed, I can't join the production class.

10. naknang

naknang New Member

Caracal is already listed in the IPSC production guns.

JR Holster is now manufacturing a speed holster for Caracal... i have only seen one for F though.

11. eatspam

eatspam New Member

I picked up a Caracal C. I am very new to the handgun/rifle world and admit to being sucked into marketing and product inertia. That is to say I purchased used Glock 17, XDm 9mm/.45, S&W 1911, M&P 9 Pro, etc. Then I was introduced to a Steyr M9 and had to have one. I thought that handgun was the best until...that is until I was able to purchase and fire my new Caracal C.

I chose the C because I have a lot of full size 9s and it just felt great. Shooting is where is shines. First effort was outdoors on steel late dusk and about 25 yards. 2 or 3 out of 10 with the Steyr (tough to acquire those trap sights at night). I was 6 out of 10 with the Caracal and it just about felt effortless.

Taking it the the range and shooting paper, that gun shoots where you point it and due to the axis is quickly back on target. I am amazed at my groupings at 5, 7, 10, 15 yards. Impressed some of the other folks at the range as well. I confess to still liking the ergonomics of my M9, but ergo not as important as accuracy. I love the trigger of the Caracal, prefer the Caracal sights over 3 dot and just love the way it feels.

I hope to get a few hundred more rounds down range and will post pics soon.

Now...how to get the most for my used XDms and Glock?

12. e_l_q

e_l_q New Member

nice report eatspam!

13. Andy_ita

Andy_ita New Member

Greetings fron italy guys
    I have a c model, quick sight. I fired arround 8000 rounds and i love it.
    The pistol arrived here in italy 2 years ago. I bought it quickly but i started to use it only 8 monts later when i found a holster. I use a serpa. I have a ghost int. also but i prefear the unlock button of the serpa.

I have a glock 19 also, but it rest in the safebox. I found the caracal better. The trigger is smooth. Ok the reset is a bit longer but it is ok. For my hands, the grip is perfect ( but the gen4 of the glock solved the problem, i have a gen 3)
    But the best of the pistol are the sights. I love it. They are extremly fast.
    Well as im on ipad and um driving i cant write too much for now. I llcontinue later. I have some pics i want to show u..
    Oh.. Sorry for my english.... I know it is bad

14. Andy_ita

Andy_ita New Member

here u have some pics of my C

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

anyone had my problems at slide finish using the holster???

[​IMG]

and here is how i have modified the hold open , cause it happened sometime i place my finger on, so the slide won stop open at last round

[​IMG]

15. Firewire

Firewire New Member

Got another 50 rounds today at the range! Was shooting it accurate, but not so precise. Aimed for AND hit the center body mass with no issues, but anytime I tried to be precise in the center it kept shooting way low. I am a right handed shooter and usually shoot low left. If I exaggerated my aim high it came to where it should be. Any thoughts? No markings on the range, so I would guess 7-10 yards away was my target.

I'm still loving the feel and overall performance of this baby!

[​IMG]

16. stmcelroy

stmcelroy New Member

How's your grip on the gun?

More than likely you're over gripping the gun when trying to shoot precise and pulling the gun down when the trigger breaks.

My C shoots pretty much point of aim at 7 yards, but I have problems shooting my F high.

17. Firewire

Firewire New Member

Thanks! I'll concentrate on those points next time I'm at the range!