EAA Witness 9mm Review

Discussion in 'Modern Handguns' started by plouffedaddy, Dec 4, 2012.

1. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I originally purchase the EAA Steel Witness 9mm (also known as the Tanfoglio T95 in some countries) a year or so ago because the I like the CZ75-type platform, the price was right, and it easily converted to 22lr. Here's what I've found so far:

Pros:
    -Reliable. When the gun is in its' original 9mm configuration it's extremely reliable (I've personally never had a malfunction but my buddy borrowed the gun for a week and claimed he had one with his reloads).
    -Accurate. Most CZC75 variants are very accurate guns and this pistol is no exception.
    -Ergonomic. It feels great in the hand and the extended beaver tail allows you to get your hand very high up on the frame.
    -Modularity. Current production EAA Witness guns are built on what was formerly known as the 'large frame.' You can purchase a separate slide assembly (40, 45, 22, ect....) and they will all work on the same frame. The frame is the serial numbered parts so there's no need to go though a FFL.
    -Many (not all) of the aftermarket parts developed for the CZ75 will also work on the Witness.
    -Standard 1913 rail for mounting lights/lasers/bayonets/whatever else tickles your fancy.
    -It has a relatively low bore axis for a DA/SA gun due to the way the slide rides in the frame.
    -Weight. The all steel version weighs 33oz unloaded which makes it a pleasure to shoot.
    -Ability to be carried 'cocked and locked.' For many shooters this is a system we're used to and operating it is second nature.
    -Price. I purchased mine for under $400 with the 22lr kit included. They've gone up since then but they're still very affordable.

Cons:
    -No decocker.
    -Only comes with 1 magazine
    -Finish. It's just a paint type finish that wears relatively easily.
    -The trigger has a little more overtravel than I'd like. That said, it does break crisply.

Chronograph numbers:
    Winchester Ranger 115gr JHP: 1123fps, 322 ft/lbs energy
    Federal HST 124gr JHP: 1145fps, 361 ft/lbs energy
    Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P: 1253fps, 432 ft/lbs energy

Here's a video with some shooting, disassembly/assembly, a discussion of the pros/cons, and a chronograph test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5xc95-DeLs

2. Parameter

Parameter New Member

Nice review. BTW liked your MWI Gen 2 review on AR15! :)

3. Auguste Capone

Auguste Capone New Member

Great review once again PD. Thanks.

4. jhb

jhb New Member

Where's the disadvantage to buying a cz75 over the italian version? They seem to be priced closely(all relative), but to me close enough......I'm not sure where the reason to buy the italian copy makes sense?

Serious questions.........been wondering this for awhile......I assume tanf makes good stuff, but the same or better than cz? Other than the 10mm option you can't get in a cz. Thanks in advance.

5. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy New Member

Buds had this gun on sale for $269 last week (gone now). I don't see any CZs for that price but if you can get a CZ for the same rate as an EAA I'd recommend you go that route. That said, mine has been great (as stated in the review) and I'd buy it again.

Thanks guys.

6. jhb

jhb New Member

appreciate the feedback, thank you Sir....so price is the big win "pro" over the cz's?

when i posted that question and went looking i didn't see a price that low...i saw eaa's in the 400 range and cz's in the 400-500 ranges on buds. granted i didn't look for that particular model....big mistake on my part obviously.

curious....do you own one of the turkish built cz copies? any feedback on those? appreciated.