Double feeds?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EvilNuff, Aug 27, 2012.

1. EvilNuff

EvilNuff New Member

Has anyone had any problems with failure to extracts causing double feeds? I have a C QS and through 800 rounds so far I have had 3 double feeds caused by FTEs. I have never had any double feeds before with my beretta, m&p, or glock so I am unsure what to look for to correct the problem. Any suggestions?

(The cat has been cleaned and lubed after each 200 round firing session.)

2. HKmanlp1

HKmanlp1 New Member

Is it always with a certain type of ammo?

3. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy New Member

Has this been happening since you first got the gun or is it a new phenomenon?

4. EvilNuff

EvilNuff New Member

I always use the federal 9mm so yes its always with the same ammo. I have only shot 800 rounds through the gun to date, it did not happen on the first 200 round session and has happened once per 200 round session since.

5. e_l_q

e_l_q New Member

i experienced double feeds/failure to extract on my reloaded ammo.

the culprit was the length of the bullet being too long. I asked my reloader to make the bullet a bit shorter.

problem solved! :D

no problems with factory fmj ammo though.

6. N.M.Edmands

N.M.Edmands New Member

I believe the most common cause of double feeds after broken extractors/ejectors is poor or underpowered/weak ammo, followed by operator error. [shortened / retarded slide travel due to support thumb/hand contact with slide. ] I have not had an issue on my "F" but have on other pistols shooting "high thumbs". Where all your ammo may be from 1 lot try a box or 2 of something else. With weak short loaded rounds the top rd. in the mag follows the chambered rd. forward to contact the feed ramp and the slide can come back far enough to pick up a new short round before the ejector can kick out the empty.
    Also visually check that the ejector protrudes well forward om the back of the magazine.

Just a thought for what it's worth, remembering that I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken. :?

7. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

I've seen this happen on a couple of F pistols so far. In fact, I just tested out an F QS for a friend this morning. He was using Winchester "white box." He shoots thumbs high and I shoot left thumb over right. I experienced the same issue as he did with his pistol. I then ran the same ammunition through my personal F QS and had no issues. Afterwards, I had him run 30 rounds of Federal R&T and Speer Lawman through his gun and it ran flawlessly. He is going to continue to run a few hundred rounds of each to confirm reliability. It is possible that a few hundred rounds later his pistol may "break in" and feed the Winchester fine down the road but he is understandably disappointed that it currently does not.

I've shot enough guns to know that certain pistols (not to be confused with models) can "like" and "dislike" specific kinds of ammo. Ideally, your pistol should run any and every type of factory ammo. Most pistols do not, nor should, require a "break in" period. When a manufacturer states that a specific model requires one, I raise a suspicious eyebrow. That being said, some pistols can successfully break in. I have had a CZ-75 and a Daewoo DP-51 that resolved their initial "teething" issues on their own and run flawlessly now.