carry pistol - Caracal F - QS or standard?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by theaccountant, Sep 14, 2012.

1. theaccountant

theaccountant New Member

I compete in action pistol/USPSA.

I've got a concealed carry license but I rarely, if ever, carry. Part of that is because I don't have a suitable concealed carry gun, but I had a KelTec PF9 and when I had it I couldn't bring myself to carry it - felt like I was carrying a little hand grenade that was not shootable at all (super heavy trigger pull, recoil made the gun want to pop right out of my hand, and consequently if I would have ever had to pull that thing out I'd have had zero confidence in anything but a point blank situation.)

I see the Caracal being used a little bit in action pistol/USPSA, I'm reading good things about the shootability of this pistol, the price is great, and so I'm interested in getting an "F" that I can carry (and it would be nice to *occasionally* shoot the gun I carry in competition...big point of getting into competitive shooting for me was to become better with a gun.)

So, do I want the standard sight or the Quick Sight model? I don't have the ability to handle either one...I don't know if the Quick Sights are all about super close encounter shooting or if they work as well as the standard sights in the 7 to 10 yard range.

2. e_l_q

e_l_q New Member

Welcome to the forum!

I only have the quick sight version and I can say that it's really "quick" to acquire your sight picture.

as to shooting at a distance, it's as accurate as my Taurus PT1911. it may not be the same with others though.

3. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

I'm not a huge fan of concealing a full size pistol but would if it was the only size pistol I had. That being said, I would prefer a C for carry and I would go for the quick sites as I feel the faster acquisition is a benefit for defensive shooting. I would not feel deterred by the standard sites however either.

4. theaccountant

theaccountant New Member

If the Caracal F with Quick Sights is as accurate as a 1911, that's extremely impressive and it makes me want one even more. I was assuming that with the Quick Sights you'd be giving up some accuracy for the sake of having easier sights to line up. If that isn't the case, not sure why I *wouldn't* want the one with the Quick Sights...but I do see the Caracal team shooters are using the one with the standard sights, and I'm not sure why that would be.

I guess I don't know how big the Caracal F is...nobody I know has one, no gun shops (I'm guessing) have any. I was guessing it was about Glock 17 size but narrower. I just got very turned off by the Kel Tec compact and when I look at Ruger and other compacts I just feel like they'd be close to worthless to me - triggers are super heavy, short slide/sight length, ring and pinky fingers are hanging off of it, and I don't think I'd be effective with a gun I never shoot (which I never would because of all of the above given I've got competition guns and limited time.) Figured if I could carry a gun that was competition worthy that'd make me more apt to shoot the gun somewhat regularly and carry it.

5. Fight or Flight

Fight or Flight New Member

The F has a 4 inch barrel compared to the 4.5 inch barrel of a Glock 17. The grip length of the F is roughly the same as the G17. I have the C for carry. I have the standard sight version. I do want to get a quick sight C soon. Im hoping that the QS would come with night sights soon. Im waiting for some night sighted QS Caracals to be available before i get another C model.

6. theaccountant

theaccountant New Member

Does your whole hand fit on the c or is your pinkie hanging off it?

7. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

The C is a mid-size pistol and fits most hands flush. For me, I prefer the grip size of most mid-sized pistols to those on larger full sized guns but that is just my personal preference. Same size as a Glock 19 if familiar with this pistol.

8. Fight or Flight

Fight or Flight New Member

My pinkie does not hang off at all with the C.