Caracal F: Range Report

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gun.fm, Jun 10, 2012.

1. gun.fm

gun.fm Shutterbug

I've fired the Caracal a few times and it didn't lock back at the end of a magazine. I'd only shot it casually during off time while working as a RSO.

Yesterday (June 9) I spent some serious time using the firearm.

I had two double-feeds, a dozen failures to extract, and not once did it lock back on the last round. I even tried just putting one round in each of the three magazines I have and just chambering them and firing. I had the same results with all ammunition used (including Hornady 115 grain Z-max).

I'm now close to 1,000 rounds so the "break in period" mantra should be meaningless.

My groups are tight (only firing at 12 yards) but my tight group is low a few inches (relative to firing the H&K USP-9 and Vektor CP-1 I had with me on this range day).

I found the magazine release difficult to reach quickly and more importantly my magazines didn't drop free. I had to grab them and pull them out. I was in an extremely dusty desert environment...but it's a UAE pistol.

Overall
    Pros: I find it comfortable and accurate. Of less importance I think it is an attractive handgun as well as unique.
    Cons: Shoots low for me, extraction is finicky, magazine release is too small, magazines don't drop free, at least one mag is bad with double feeds.

I'm going to thoroughly clean, oil, and take it to the indoor range with a log book, and also number my magazines.

Feedback welcome, disappointed at that moment.

2. gun.fm

gun.fm Shutterbug

[​IMG]
    Relevant photo - Starr firing the Caracal with me yesterday.

3. jdeloach

jdeloach New Member

Sorry you are having these issues with the Caracal. It does sound like a cleaning and a couple new mags would make the difference. My mags drop easily, so that issue has me leaning towards you getting some bad mags. After the cleaning if it's still having issues, call Scott @ Caracal USA and hopefully he can lend some advice. Tell him Jeff DeLoach referred you......he will take good care of your concerns.

BTW......that is an awesome photo. Tell her that she looks like someone straight from an action movie.

4. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy New Member

Great write up but it'd be better with more Starr. :D

5. gun.fm

gun.fm Shutterbug

Honestly I think the dust just demolished the operation of the handgun. It must have been too dry and then compounded that by getting so much dust blown into it. I'm not giving up on it, I just wanted to be sincere in my review. I like the gun more than it deserves at the moment.

6. gun.fm

gun.fm Shutterbug

7. Firewire

Firewire New Member

I've not experienced the same or any failures, so I hope it is the sandy climate, but then again that would be disappointing too.

Thanks for the information (and pics again :) ).

8. stmcelroy

stmcelroy New Member

Your grip could be causing the slide to not lock back. The F is very prone to this with a high thumbs forward grip.

9. gun.fm

gun.fm Shutterbug

So are the FN FNP pistols and SigSauer P226 series. I keep my thumb below the slide-lock.

10. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Interesting results. Good candor. Great Pics :twisted:

I can appreciate your frustration. The gun is definitely not supposed to perform that poorly even in a dusty environment. I've shot a few times under similar circumstances and haven't had any negative function issues with any of the Caracal pistols that I've handled. I do know of another who had issues with the slide not locking back. I had him loan me his pistol and I tried it out personally. I couldn't get the pistol to malfunction for me the way that it did for him.

It's very possible that you have a rare one that needs to be sent to Caracal USA for a tune up. I would love to handle yours before it goes out though just to feel what it is like with those problems.

We need to find a break in our busy schedules and find a way to get out and shoot together ;)

11. gun.fm

gun.fm Shutterbug

I had to fix the image links, however I have no update on my pistol. I haven't taken the time to test it post cleaning.

12. Fight or Flight

Fight or Flight New Member

Its really weird if your mags are not dropping.

13. Doc

Doc New Member

I agree with this. The mags on mine drop like a stone. :shock: