Caracal C QS painted rear sight

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaybee, Jun 23, 2012.

1. jaybee

jaybee New Member

I decided to try and paint the rear sight on my C with quick sights to better discriminate elevation. I found I had trouble shooting high last time at an ind0or range and decided I wasn't seeing the base of the rear sight properly. I intended to use automotive pin striping masking tape but couldn't find it in my garage so carefully measured the elevation to the center of the front ramp white dot and made some appropriately sized masking tape and and went from there...

masked sight:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/H ... directlink

With a proper sight picture, the white area should be completely obscured from view.

Aim too high:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/- ... directlink

Proper sight picture, the green and black horizontals bisect the white dot on the front ramp.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/c ... directlink

Aim too low:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/B ... directlink

I should get a chance to try it out this weekend. I'll let you know how it works out. The paint is nail polish, easily removable....

2. jdeloach

jdeloach New Member

Awesome work Jaybee!!

3. ace

ace New Member

Awesome work, indeed. I have the normal straight eight and I might do it too!

4. jaybee

jaybee New Member

Tested my painted rear sight today and found it definitely helped. I compared the best target from my first 150 rounds fired two weeks ago with targets shot today, (another 150 rounds) and there was a clear improvement. I shot better and better shooting was easier, so, I would call it a success. I didn't practice any flash sight picture shooting as I did on my first day with the gun, all of today's shooting was slow and deliberate, but I did not get the sense that the painted sights detracted from my ability to quickly acquire a sight picture. The gun operated perfectly, and when I did my part, shot exactly where I wanted it to. So far, it has proven itself to be an exceptionally capable and accurate pistol.

5. apvbguy

apvbguy New Member

I feel that the QS pistols are not target practice guns, QS= an aid for the quick acquisition of the front site aka point shooting. this is a sd form of shooting.
    If you are going for pretty groups at X yards you're got the wrong gun for that job, use a gun with regular sites.
    that said, the sight work looks good

6. jaybee

jaybee New Member

I agree about the design and intended use and, yes, I have better guns for target shooting. I'm a methodical kinda guy though, cant help but try and make pretty little groups while breaking it in to a comfortable round count... Honestly, if I couldn't shoot respectable groups with it I'd sell it. It wouldn't be that much fun to shoot the quickest mediocre groups. I'm hoping to get a good handle on the guns general reliability and capability at this point. So far it's exceeded expectations. I'm glad it has character, it inspires me to shoot it better...

7. wildcatvox

wildcatvox New Member

how did you made this? measurements? :?

8. jaybee

jaybee New Member

No fancy measurement needed. You can measure the areas you will be painting by counting the serrations in the back sight. If you just want to mark the bottom of the sight to help with shooting high, apply paint to the bottom two sight serrations only- painting the non serrated area beneath is good too. If you want to try my setup, paint the bottom two serrations, the next three serrations, the next two, and the the last one unpainted to reduce glare on the top of the sight. I am counting each groove cut into the sight as a serration, so from bottom to top paint the grooves 2, 3, 2 using alternating colors and wipe off the excess with each paint applied. After it has dried use a thumbtack or pin to scrape the excess paint out of the grooves to prevent glare... It should align just like my pics.

9. wildcatvox

wildcatvox New Member

ill try this one i know this will help...thanks a lot!!!!

10. wildcatvox

wildcatvox New Member

what color did you use here? sorry im color blind lol... :geek:

11. jaybee

jaybee New Member

From bottom to top: white acrylic fingernail polish, black sharpie permanent marker on top of white nail polish, bright green nailpolish. Any contrasting colors will work...

12. wildcatvox

wildcatvox New Member

i tried this today and it helps a lot in a way...on dark situation its still hard to picture sight the white dot...hope available front sight will come soon...thanks jaybee for sharing the idea...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. wildcatvox

wildcatvox New Member

14. Auguste Capone

Auguste Capone New Member

I'm thinking of trying this on my M9-A1.

15. e_l_q

e_l_q New Member

@jaybee & wildcatvox

what kind of paint are you using?

16. jaybee

jaybee New Member

17. e_l_q

e_l_q New Member

thanks jaybee

18. wildcatvox

wildcatvox New Member

i just used a nail art nail polish...the brush is more smaller size than the regular nail polsih... look for nail art if you can fine in neon color much better...

19. alanp65

alanp65 New Member

jaybee,

I really like what you have shown with this sighting test. I was wondering if I would be the only one to notice the very small elevation allowances that this sight offers. I picked up my new C-QS a few days ago and had the opportunity to put over 500 rounds through it yesterday afternoon. (BTW - for those who are looking for reliability info, it was 100% reliable with 7 different brands and types of ammo.)

While the QS system is very accurate at the 7yd line, it does require a little more user skill as you move out to the 15 and 25yd distances. Like you (even with a combat weapon) I like to test my shooting skills, and also know that the weapon is capable at distance if needed. I had to constantly be aware of the sight alignment at the longer distances. More so than with my EDC and IDPA gun, which is an extremely accurate and reliable FNX.

It seems to me that the proper sight alignment at the 15-25yrd range almost forces the rear of the gun (actually the top of the firing pin unit) where the standard sight would be, to raise into the line of sight. While the top of the firing pin unit is supposed to be functional as a catch in case of one handed reloading, I would like to see it notched in the center to allow for more elevation range of the QS system. One drill that I practice routinely is a "point shoot" double tap to the torso area followed by a brief sighted shot to the head. This was the only area where I thought the Caracal could use improvement.

If anyone comes up with a way to center notch the top of the firing pin unit please post it.
    Overall I am very impressed with the Caracal, but not enough to put away my FN yet.

20. N.M.Edmands

N.M.Edmands New Member

If you look at the back of the firing pin assembly you will see a "o" outline.. This is the location of the straight eight rear sight. Either paint a white dot,or center punch and drill a recess to fill with paint. this will give you maximum sighting distance for longer shots using "dot the dot " straight eights.
    Dot the dot thru the "QS" rear sight.