AR or AK?

Discussion in '16+' started by Predecessor, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Arizona or Alaska? :lol:

Jesting aside, I'm talking Armalite vs. Avtomat Kalashnikova

I'm primarily a pistol guy. When it comes to rifles, I'm handy with a lever, and have a couple of 9MM carbines that currently serve as close quarter pdw's.

For a variety of reasons, I have been slow in my desire for an AR or AK. And yet, I may be warming up to it a bit. Recently went out and threw a few rounds down range with an AK-47 configured with a bumpfire stock. I admit it was fun.

So which platform do you prefer and why? AR or AK?

2. okie67

okie67 Member

Both are fun to shoot but I haven't owned an AK yet,guess you would say I'm an AR guy.Enjoyed several different ARs Stag,M&P,Bushmaster and now down to just my Colt 6920.
    I prefer the AR style rifle just because I'm more used to shooting one,maybe one day I will own an AK.

3. HKmanlp1

HKmanlp1 New Member

I prefer the AK system. Easier to clean, bigger round, and you can bury it in the mudd. I would recommend a Arsenal SGL-21.

4. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy New Member

At work I use and train with the AR platform so I'm certainly faster/smoother with it which is important under stress. ....but I do love AKs. If I could pick a rifle to go to war with it'd be a Russian AK in 5.45 with an Aimpoint micro dot on an Ultimak or MI rail and a Krebs safety.

5. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

I have been eying Arsenal's for awhile. Worth the extra expense?

I've thought about the 74 variant as well but will probably wait to add it to the family after I have played around a bit with the 7.62x39mm round.

Either of you had experience with the VZ-58? The lighter weight and a variety of other features that it offers over the traditional AK platform have been attempting to woo me to it. Should I give in to temptation?

6. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy New Member

[​IMG]

^^There's my SGL21. Nice but worth it over a WASR? Maybe. Both are equally reliable and equally accurate. Fit and build quality are certainly better but are they $400 better? Only you can answer that one....

Here's my WASR 10/63 btw....
    [​IMG]

The 74s really are nice though. Much more accurate; shoot out beyond 300m much better, and the round is equally devastating against soft targets. $0.13 cents a round vs $0.22 helps too.

7. Series80

Series80 New Member

I built my AR and have had my SLI95 since 1987 , I would say they are alot different in the platforms use , if your just shooting targets the AR will slam the AK ,but if your using it for defense , I would go with the AK , its really tricky with the AR platform because theres so many ways it can be used and there are so many different combos for it , I love the AK ,yes I am an AK guy but the AR platform offers more uses , you can change out barrels ,bcg's , triggers , recievers ,theres so many ways to customize the AR , if you want a "room blocker" or a "sniper" it can be accomplished with one lower reciever , not many platforms have that capability !

I would think about building the AR if I was you , if prices are a problem , it can be pieced together in a few months and only the lower reciever needs an ffl , which is probably the cheapest component!

I am an AK guy but the AR has the most options!

8. jhb

jhb New Member

Can't help you there. Cause I consider them equals. Right now I got an ar, cause I wanted a piston and a lefty since I shoot southpaw. Will be adding an ak variation soon enough. I see lots of fighting between the fans, but I see no reason not to own both and like both myself. Two of the best rifle designs out there, imho.