Any other HK addicts out there?

Discussion in 'Modern Handguns' started by HKmanlp1, Mar 11, 2012.

1. HKmanlp1

HKmanlp1 New Member

As judging by my sign on ID, I'm a huge HK junkie and am wondering if any else here suffers from my same issue. I'll post pics if anyone wants to see some.

2. HKmanlp1

HKmanlp1 New Member

Very nice set of USP's there, I will try to get some pics of mine up soon.

3. okie67

okie67 Member

Thanks, Im very fond of USPs.. :D

4. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

Welcome to the forum HKmanlp1!
    Can't say as I do, but it's not from a lack of trying. Overall, H&K's history and build quality are excellent. You'll get no argument from me on that. But for me, the USP just didn't thrill and I didn't shoot the P2000 all that well. If I'm going pay top dollar for a pistol, it has to merit it. The H&K pistols are top quality, but in the end, other pistols perform better for me so I don't own any at the moment (I feel the same about Sig's)

That being said, the HK 45 intrigues, but I don't shoot enough .45 ACP to warrant it and when I do, it's hard not to turn to my 1911's. The P30 has the same excellent ergonomics that entice, but I already own several more affordable pistols that handle as well or better for me so I just can't justify the need.

H&K's older pistol designs call to me far more as a collector. I owned a P9 and that is an neat design. The trigger is light and crisp - amazing to dry fire. I had high expectations for it but didn't shoot it as well as I wanted. I let go of it because I just didn't shoot it much. Again, I will add another to the collection some day, but for now, I'm only keeping pistols that I shoot on a regular basis. I'd like a VP70 as well. The honest truth is that I haven't shot a P7 yet (shame on me :oops: ) - and this seems to be the crown jewel of H&K past - plan to pick one up at some point, no doubt, as I like the similar lines and bore axis that the Caracal borrows from it.

In the end, I'd like to pick up a HK-4 next because I love compact pistols in .380 and .22 LR - and my bet is the HK-4 is better built than the Mauser HsC - just haven't found the right pistol at the right price yet :x

Looking forward to seeing come of your collection and hearing which H&K's you love best!

5. HKmanlp1

HKmanlp1 New Member

If you are primarily a 1911 guy I think you should take a hard look at the fullsize HK45. It has the ability to be carried locked and cocked like a 1911 and it models the same grip angle. Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorne both developed the HK45, and they are both well known in the 1911 community. the grip on the HK45 is also second to none.

6. Predecessor

Predecessor New Member

I definitely like the feel of the HK45 over other non-1911 style designs. As you mentioned, the ergonomics are fantastic compared to other designs in that class. The FNP is a hoot, but a little big for my tastes. The round count is great but the double stack 1911's fit and feel better to me when it comes to higher cap designs. But the H&K would be my first choice for a duty pistol in .45 ACP (with the PX4 storm coming in second). Like I said though, I just can't afford to shoot .45 ACP as much as I can 9MM Para so it will be awhile before I try one out ;)

What are your favorite H&K pistols?

7. stmcelroy

stmcelroy New Member

Been there and done the HK thing already. The high cost magazines and proprietary light rail of the USP's finally caused me to change directions.

Wouldn't mind trying out one of the newer HK45's though. ;)

8. HKmanlp1

HKmanlp1 New Member

Well my favorite HK's I own are the HK45 and the P7M8 series. But my P30's & USP's just always go bang no matter what too. I have a P2000 in .357 sig as well but its currently at Bowie Tactical Concepts getting a 360 stippling job and grey slide refinish. But more importantly relating to this forum I got my Caracal F today. I immediately took it to the range and put 100 rds through it without even taking it apart. It functioned flawlessly just as I imagined. Its a real sweet trigger and a great conversation piece.

9. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 New Member

I frequently carry a P2000 in 9MM with Speer Gold Dots in a Shaggy Holster. It's reliable and accurate as long as I focus on my DA trigger press.

10. jaybee

jaybee New Member

The P7M8 was a dream gun for me for the longest time.... Saddly tendonitis makes the squeeze cocker less than ideal so I will continue to admire but will not own one. I owned a mint VP70z for a while, neat gun. Wish I had tried the wolf springs in it to improve the trigger pull. The VP70z has the worlds greatest pistol magazines- simply press each cartridge straight down, no need to depress the follower and slide the rounds under the mag lip. The alternating rounds in the HK doublestack mag exert force on eachother and the mag feed lips equally. They load quickly and do not cause sore thumbs. It is brilliant and I wish the Caracal had this amazing magazine as found on the HK from 1968.....

11. HKmanlp1

HKmanlp1 New Member

Just realized I started this thread and never posted any pics. Here's a few of the HK's.

12. Fight or Flight

Fight or Flight New Member

Ive had the HK45,HK45c and P30. Loved them all, but once i tried a Glock trigger, i couldn't go back to the HK trigger. If HK ever comes out with the striker fired P40, i will be on that like white on rice!